It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Anxiety Board Index
Board Index > Anxiety | 0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

To make a long story short, starting about a year ago I started having random little panic attacks during the day and at night while trying to fall asleep. I experienced symptoms similar to what I'd read online, similar to a heart attack where it seems as though my heart is pounding, my chest hurts, and the sudden fear of death. My doctor (who is horrible, rushes you in and out in 20 seconds every time) said these were panic attacks and said instead of prescribing anything that he would show me a breathing exercise to do. Of course this did absoloutely nothing. Eventually I realised from reading online and from person experience, that paying attention to my heartbeat at all times was what caused these attacks, and since about 4 months ago they have ceased, until yesterday.

This is where the story gets complicated. I am not a drug or alcohol abuser and I am not suicidal, though I do suffer from the occasional onslaught of depression from time to time due to stress. So anyways two nights ago I was up nearly all night with my acid reflux, so I decided to take a gravol (which I have now learned is not meant to help acid reflux) only the problem persisted, so I kept taking more until I fell asleep.

I woke up two hours later and walked over to the washroom when I was suddenly hit with a massive wave of panic and a sense that I was about to pass out (lost control of balance) I then started thinking back to try and remember how many gravol's I actually took, and eventually recalled the magic number was 6.

I called poison control, pharmacy's, everyone and everyone, even the hospital, and was sent in a frustrating circle. I ended up walking to the hospital meanwhile being disoriented (thank god I made it there :S) and my blood and urin was checked and I was given an EKG. Nothing came up anywhere so they sent me home.

This is the part where the real trouble started. Last night every time I came close to falling asleep I had that huge jolt in my head that startled me awake and made me afraid to go to sleep in fear of having a seizure or something (every time it happened I saw a brief massive flash of light in my head). I didn't sleep most of the night and now I'm experiencing symptoms similar to those I had many months ago, my left leg/big toe wont stop twitching, nor will my right eye, and I feel very uneasy and on edge.

I have taken into consideration many things but I am guessing the most likely 3 scenarios are these: the gravol overdose which seems to have started the panic in the first place, anxiety brought on by what happened the other day, or the less likely but still plausible scenario of weight lifting. Even though these symptoms of twitching seemed to start the day after my overdose, the day before when I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary, I had experienced extreme chest pain and a sense of panic late at night, along with an odd feeling in my left leg.

Only a day before this^ I had started a weight lifting regime after not lifting for several months and I have read that this can "throw out" your back causing nerve problems, which would explain the twitches.

I just wanted to make sure I offer up any and all scenarios for discussion, I am hoping someone can share a similar experience and how it was treated because this anxiety thing this "heart attack" feeling is really effecting me negatively, it's like living a nightmare always in fear of sudden death, and I haven't gotten much sleep over the past 3 nights considering the events that took place. I'm not sure if they are all related or just co-incidence.
Come to think of it I have had some mild-moderate back pain during all of this but never really considered that as a part of the problem. I'm glad I'm not the only person having these frightening jolts of light when trying to fall asleep, but this is definitely something I would not wish upon anyone so I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing the same thing.

Now I'm not a medical professional so I don't want to try and give any advice that may backfire and make things worse, but I had somewhat of a breakthrough last night. At around 9:30Pm I was at the peak of feeling horrible, I felt as though I was ready to just pass out, hit the floor, and get a few hours of sleep, instead of laying down in bed and trying to fight through this frightening condition.

I had tried many things, meditation, yoga, breathing slowly, none of them worked, so as a last ditch attempt to at least feel better about going to bed I took a hot bath for about 15-20 minutes. Well about 10 minutes after getting out I felt amazing! I wasn't completely 100% better but compared to before I was like a 9 out of 10 instead of a 4. I'm guessing this means either the hot water relaxed my muscles and helped stop the twitching and/or if it were brought on by anxiety that maybe the nice hot relaxing feeling was enough to finally calm my nerves.

The best part of it was I barely felt dizzy anymore (which was the worst part) and about two hours later I went to bed, at first I was a little worried about the previous problem happening but after a little while I fell asleep and woke up several hours later thinking "oh great, up all night again" but after a little while of waking up I realised I had gotten a good few hours of sleep (without nightmares which was rare because I take sleeping pills that seem to always cause them).

So I'm not sure if you would like to try this or not but I just wanted to let you know since we seem to have a similar condition this was the only thing so far that's helped me significantly (besides waiting it out, which is very tiresome but sometimes the only option)

Thanks for your reply and I hope everything gets sorted out for you as well, if you'd like by all means please share the results of your test on here after it's conducted I'm curious to see what the results are.
How are you doing habsfan90? Have you had anymore issues when falling asleep? I've been having good and bad days. More bad than good and I am still waiting for a referall to see another doctor. If the next doctor can't find anything wrong I will be going to the local medical university hospital to see if they find the cause of my problems. I hope you are feeling better.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 AM.

© 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!