It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Back Problems Board Index

Hi everyone, I put out two surveys but have received very few answers. Perhaps if I had given some background about why I was asking questions I might have received more replies.

I had microdiskectomy a few months ago. The day of the surgery my pain was gone, but I had a lot of weakness in my right leg right after the surgery. I felt it was the price to pay for relief of the horrible pain I had pre-surgery.

Six days later a new pain began that increased to the point over a few days until I couldn't stand for more 15 seconds & couldn't sit more than 2 minutes.

I tried to get in touch with my doctor but he wouldn't call me back. At the 2 week post-op visit, he told me I didn't listen to his recommendations.

But he hadn't given me any,(I went home from the hosp. with no instructions).

He didn't even visit me in the hospital after the surgery. The nurse taking care of me told me he wasn't coming because I was "a short stay patient".

But he insisted he did. Obviously he knew he didn't. His assist.'s signature was on the discharge paper. The nurse knew he wasn't coming. So he must have had made a decision not to visit me.

At the post op visit he told me to go back to bed
for another month.

I later found out, after we went back, asked for a copy of my file that he had written a post operative report saying that I told him I had been extremely active after the surgery. & that I thought I could do a lot more than he recommended. I could hardly walk after the surgery. I was extremely careful. I hadn't left the house, did nothing except eat sleep and lay on ice.

So I laid in bed for a few more weeks with this terrible burning pain in my leg any time I ventured out of bed, pain I didn't have before the surgery.

Then I went back to my primary Dr. He ordered an MRI. Sent me to another doctor. MRI showed fluid. Lots of it. The new dr. said he'd order a blood test to check for infection, could aspirate the fluid, because blood or infection fluid could cause pain.

First he said he was going to have to give the dr. who did the surgery a "courtesy call". I wasn't happy because I had seen how untrustworthy the surgeon had been, but what could I do?

The blood test showed no infection. After that, things went downhill with the 2nd Dr. He said there was no infection & that aspirating the fluid was no longer an option, that the blood would absorb by itself.

As time went on with this new dr. it seemed to me he was just keeping me coming back and waiting for who know what. "Stay in bed longer", "Lets get a CT Scan". By the time I had the SCAN and the Dr. appt. almost 6 more weeks went by.

The last visit I had with the dr. he asked me when was my surgery, then sat there for almost 4 minutes thinking to himself, then told me he couldn't help me further. Sent me to another doctor.

I can't help feel that I was being kept in limbo by these two doctors for some reason unknown to me.

Is it because if there's nerve damage done during surgery, as time goes by, a few months, scar tissue covers it, so the damage done by the surgeon can no longer be seen?

Was that the reason these doctors let me suffer with fluid in my back rather than aspirate? (three months worth of suffering)

By the way, with fluid in the back, both the MRI AND CT SCAN came back with the area blacked out by Fluid and or what they call "Soft Tissue density". In other words, those scans are useless to show what's going on in the area where the surgery was done.

I sent for the nurses notes from my hospital stay. Found out so many things had been switched around to make it look like I had been on an I.V. up to the time I was discharged, instead of the way it was, taken out 13 hours before I was discharged. (I had to beg the nurse to let me stay, because I was hoping the doctor would come).

It also said I had received "handouts" and instruction by a PT on how to take care of myself before leaving the hosp. None of this happened.

I suppose showing that I had an I.V. for 13 hours longer than I had actually did, would prove that any recollection I might have of what did or didn't occur in the day I was discharged, would be colored by my intervenious drugs!

Even the nurses names were switched. No way I could have not recognized this if I had known what was in those notes earlier, because the nurses they put down as having taken care of me were Middle Eastern, not the Caucasion nurse that did care of me.

I can only conclude that the surgeon knew he screwed up right in surgery, so he took care not to visit me after the surgery, just in case I made a scene about the severe weakness of my leg in front of witnesses.

He wouldn't have to face the possibility of witnesses being available for a lawsuit. And he could send me home with no info., likely to do something that I would believe was the cause of the relapse.

But what about the waiting these two doctors seemed to make me go through? Why did the pain start after 6 days instead of right after I left the hospital? I had been off the pain med. for over 12 hours when I left the hospital.

I could barely walk after the surgery. There was no way I could have done anything to cause such pain. So why did that pain come, and why did it take so long after the surgery to appear?

A whole week, thinking the surgery had been a success.

And why is it now finally getting less intense after three months? What caused my pain?
Why were these doctors trying to just keep me in bed?

I heard shortly after that just laying in bed increases the chance of scar tissue forming, that physical therapy started soon after back surgery is important.
Was something put in my back, a temporary nerve block, to keep me from feeling the pain until enough days passed to be able to say that I reinjured myself?

Was this pain brought by the fluid, blood? OR something else so that the SCANS WOULD have the surgery area blacked out? So it could be diagnosed as just "fluid" or "soft tissue density", which really says nothing about the nerve operated on, because the nerve can't be seen through it?

How convenient it would have been to leave out a few stitches, so I'd bleed slowly enough to cause the MRI'S & CT scans to be useless, just in case I went to another doctor, and got an MRI. So whatever damage obtained from the carelessness of the surgeon couldn't be seen.

I feel as if I received a surgery from a used car salesman in a surgeons jacket. (And that's an insult to used car salesmen.)

If any of you have any comment, I'd appreciated it. Sorry to be so long, I'm laying it all out now.

I was hoping to find out how many of you had a diseckomy/laminectomy, went home with weakness, but little pain, only to be back in pain after a week or two. Then begin to recover from the pain after three months.
If there are many people with these same time frames of things happening, then something is up.

I doubt many people have had doctors so openly dishonest, but how about the time frame of no pain, then pain. Or are we all so negligent and responsible for our relapse? Please respond

[This message has been edited by ricebird (edited 09-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by ricebird (edited 09-03-2003).]

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 PM.

© 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!