It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Back Problems Message Board


Back Problems Board Index


Need some help
Jan 23, 2007
Hi Everyone,
I am back again, with yet more problems. I had a fusion at L4/5 with instrumentation last March. Since the fusion, I have had problems above and below the fusion, and the foot drop that I had before the fusion has gotten progressively worse. I have nerve pain, shooting pain down both legs, can't sit for more than 15 minutes without my legs going numb, can't tell when I have to urinate until I need to get to the bathroom or else:eek: , I can't straighten my legs out completely when I stand since it causes the muscles in the front and back of my thighs to cramp, along with the inside and outside of my calves, etc......anyway, I saw the OS again, he basically told me that there was nothing mechanical going on, therefore, he was relegating me to PM. The physiatrist at the office was pushing me to get a scs which I don't want. I have been on more pain meds now than I was before I had the fusion. Anyway, I decided to get a second opinon with a neuro and find out if he thought a scs was a good idea. He sent me for a new mri, which revealed a severe stenosis (compression) of the spinal cord at L3-4, a moderate to severe compression of the cord at L2/3, and a severe compression at L5-S1, along with moderate stenosis on the left side at L5/S1, and a severe stenosis on the right at the same level. He said that there was no way he would recommend a scs, and no shots either. He said that my options at this point were more surgery or hold out as long as possible.
I went back and showed the physiatrist the report and told him what the neuro had to say, and he said that since I have been complaining of those same areas he would recommend another surgery and maybe it might prevent more nerve damage.
I decided to get yet another opinion. That neuro said that he would do surgery which would include a revision of the fusion at L4/5, extending the fusion to L3/4 and probably L2/3 or I would be back in a year if I lasted that long to extend the fusion to that level too, and that he would try to just do a laminectomy at L5-S1, but that he thought that he would wind up having to fuse that too..........anyway, needless to say, my head is spinning right now, and I am unsure about what I should do.
I can't take living the way that I am right now, the pain levels never fall below a 7, and if I do anything, they rise right up to a steady 9. To be honest, I am scared to death of the idea of a fusion that big........and all of the problems that there could be with it. At the same time, I can't walk for any distance, the numbness in my legs and feet drive me batty, and when I try to stand up after sitting, I have to wait for the numbness to go away......my feet feel like they are on fire much of the time.
We ( the physiatrist and I ) haven't told the original surgeon that I got a second, let alone a third opinion and there is a part of me that wants to rub his nose in it and say, see I told you.....but at the same time, I feel like I should give him a chance to see what he has to say.
What would you do if you were me? Would you seek out another opinion? Any ideas of who around the NYC area? I live about 60 miles outside the city.......
I am at a complete loss as to what to do...........help please.:confused:
Re: Need some help
Jan 24, 2007
[QUOTE=sandim;2760244]Hi Everyone,
I am back again, with yet more problems. I had a fusion at L4/5 with instrumentation last March. Since the fusion, I have had problems above and below the fusion, and the foot drop that I had before the fusion has gotten progressively worse. I have nerve pain, shooting pain down both legs, can't sit for more than 15 minutes without my legs going numb, can't tell when I have to urinate until I need to get to the bathroom or else:eek: , I can't straighten my legs out completely when I stand since it causes the muscles in the front and back of my thighs to cramp, along with the inside and outside of my calves, etc......anyway, I saw the OS again, he basically told me that there was nothing mechanical going on, therefore, he was relegating me to PM. The physiatrist at the office was pushing me to get a scs which I don't want. I have been on more pain meds now than I was before I had the fusion. Anyway, I decided to get a second opinon with a neuro and find out if he thought a scs was a good idea. He sent me for a new mri, which revealed a severe stenosis (compression) of the spinal cord at L3-4, a moderate to severe compression of the cord at L2/3, and a severe compression at L5-S1, along with moderate stenosis on the left side at L5/S1, and a severe stenosis on the right at the same level. He said that there was no way he would recommend a scs, and no shots either. He said that my options at this point were more surgery or hold out as long as possible.
I went back and showed the physiatrist the report and told him what the neuro had to say, and he said that since I have been complaining of those same areas he would recommend another surgery and maybe it might prevent more nerve damage.
I decided to get yet another opinion. That neuro said that he would do surgery which would include a revision of the fusion at L4/5, extending the fusion to L3/4 and probably L2/3 or I would be back in a year if I lasted that long to extend the fusion to that level too, and that he would try to just do a laminectomy at L5-S1, but that he thought that he would wind up having to fuse that too..........anyway, needless to say, my head is spinning right now, and I am unsure about what I should do.
I can't take living the way that I am right now, the pain levels never fall below a 7, and if I do anything, they rise right up to a steady 9. To be honest, I am scared to death of the idea of a fusion that big........and all of the problems that there could be with it. At the same time, I can't walk for any distance, the numbness in my legs and feet drive me batty, and when I try to stand up after sitting, I have to wait for the numbness to go away......my feet feel like they are on fire much of the time.
We ( the physiatrist and I ) haven't told the original surgeon that I got a second, let alone a third opinion and there is a part of me that wants to rub his nose in it and say, see I told you.....but at the same time, I feel like I should give him a chance to see what he has to say.
What would you do if you were me? Would you seek out another opinion? Any ideas of who around the NYC area? I live about 60 miles outside the city.......
I am at a complete loss as to what to do...........help please.:confused:[/QUOTE]

hi
It sound like you have very similar prob's to me , how about having a wallis ligament or dynamic stabilisation systems at L3/L4 and don't have the fision . This is what i'm going to have done at levels L3/L4-L4/L5 and if that don't work i have options to have fision , and its only minimally invasive surgery so its worth a go .There are lots of web sites ,Hope this help from jules





All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27 AM.





© 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!