It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Board Index

I totally forgot that I didn't fill you in on my EEG. That just goes to show you where my memory has gone. :D

I had to have it at the hospital as an outpatient. We (my mom and I) ended up going to the wrong place, but it was no big deal. We really belonged across the street from where we originally went. It's weird here. We have one hospital that has two parts...and they're not directly next to each other. We went to the place that says Outpatient EEG really, really big on the sign outside. Lo and behold, we went to the wrong place. But of course! It says Outpatient EEG on the sign outside, but on the inside it's a night club.

I signed in at the hospital, got an arm band and everything, and the lady who did the EEG came and got me for the test. It does take about an hour. Most of the time; however, was spent marking my head and face with blue X's and actually applying the electrodes. She got me comfortable in a reclining chair and then marked my head and face with a blue marker. Then, she scrubbed my head with something where she made the marks. She told me it was so the electrodes would make better contact with my skin (I have extremely thick hair that's on the coarse side.). She started out with about 10 on my head, one on each cheek (to monitor eye movement) and one on my left upper chest (to monitor my heart). They're stuck on with a glue-like stuff that resembles very sticky hair gel. That was the worst part because it was cold and it irritated my sensitive skin (ITCHY!). Then, she started recording for a few minutes. She had me breathe deep and fast for 3 minutes. That was hard. I didn't expect it to be that hard. At some point during that ordeal, she started typing in her computer furiously and then applied about 12 more electrodes, all the while I'm struggling to do what I was told. That was the longest 3 minutes in my life.

So, now my head's covered COMPLETELY with colored wires (LOL! You would've gotten a kick out of me!). She just had me lay there for 15 minutes while she recorded. I had to be quiet with my eyes closed. At one point, I realized that I was beginning to fall asleep and was starting to dream...she didn't say not to fall asleep and I hadn't slept much the night before so I let myself fall asleep more. Then, suddenly and VERY LOUDLY: "Dr. Manly, 7570. Dr. Manly, 7570!" I didn't wake up, but had one of those things where you feel like you're falling and snap back, so to speak. Then I woke myself up and just sat there thinking about stuff (actually, doing math problems in my head LOL).

Then came the fabulous flashing lights of doom. They flash a light that goes faster and faster each time for 10 seconds on and 10 seconds off. Then, at the very end, there's more of a delay and then one single flash, like a camera flash. I've always had problems with strobe lights. This time, it felt like my stomach lurched each time the light would come on. It got worse (stronger) the faster the light flashed. The slowest flashing light only made my stomach muscles tighten a little, no pain, just like trying to "suck it in". The fastest one felt more like getting kicked in the gut and lasted for a few moments after the light went off. It wasn't one big long pain, but more like a rhythmic on-then-off pain and tightness that would come in waves, start out mild, peak really bad, then end mild.

After the flashing lights, she recorded for 5 more minutes and then I was done. I didn't have any major seizures there. I had what the neuro said was probably a myoclonic seizure a few years ago after having a bath that was maybe too hot. I should've known...there were warning signs. I haven't had a bath since that. I can't go in hot tubs or saunas. I have to really watch how hot I take my showers and stay alert for warning signs. I haven't had a bad one since that, but I've gotten close, not knowing that hot tubs and saunas had the same effect. Basically, heat sets me off. Now that I know, I try not to get too hot. :D

She did know the results right away, but she wasn't allowed to tell me! It was weird, when I asked the neuro if he'd call me with the results, he kept insisting I call him. Hmmm. I even asked that, if something was really amazingly wrong, would he call me? He said that I should call a few days after the EEG for the results. I wonder why he's so insistent I call him?

I don't even know what the worst thing an EEG can detect. I asked the lady who did my test if it ever made her mad that she couldn't tell people about their EEG. She said sometimes yes, but usually no because she doesn't have to be the bearer of bad news. All she said about me, after I probed a bit, was: "You have a very....ummm....ACTIVE....brain." with a shy laugh.

I haven't called about the results yet. I will tomorrow and let you know. Nobody's said anything about further testing yet. I have an actual followup appointment on 2/2. The doc said I could call him anytime with questions and to just talk, or to talk about possible physical therapy (gait training, balance training, maybe?) or treatment for the headaches. He seems like a good guy, but I almost always get the feeling that I might never find out what's going on.

I have to get up early tomorrow to go to school and pay tuition and get my books. Oh, the joy of crowds, crowds, and more crowds trying to get into one tiny building at the same time. FUN! :D But what I'm really looking forward to is the public speaking class I'm taking this semester. *cringe*

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:53 AM.

© 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!