It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Board Index

OK.... here goes...

I have mitral valve prolapse. In June 2002 I had a stress echo done by my cardio. I can't do the treadmill, so it was a drug induced one. I was lying on the table and they put the IV in my arm and stated the Dobutimine (sp?). My heart was galloping along, and they pushed in the Atropine to get my heart rate up to where it needed to be for the echo.

About 5 seconds after they pushed the Atropine I felt like the top and back of my head was going to explode. I grabbed my head and begged the doctor to stop the test. That was the last thing I remember until I came to about 5 minutes later. I actually blacked out from the pain. When I did come to, he was telling me that the test was over, etc. Then asked me if I suffered from migraines. I do, and he said that's what had happened... I'd had a migraine attack. Sorry, but I've had migraines for years, and this was nothing like anything I'd ever experienced before. It was the worst pain I'd ever felt in my life... even worse than childbirth to me. I was so nauseas that I just kept laying there on the table, holding my pounding head, not able to sit up.

After a few minutes I did sit up, and once again I had this blinding pain. I sat on the side of the table for a little bit to get steady before I even attempted to stand and get dressed. My husband had to actually help me. I wasn't talking during this time either. My head hurt too bad for it. Once I was dressed and we started to walk out of the exam room, the nausea hit me again and I barely made it into the bathroom. On the way home, my husband had to pull over twice so I could vomit. Once we got home, I took 6 Advil and went straight to the bed. I had to get up 3 times to go and get sick again. I finally took a trash can in the bedroom with me and got sick a few more times before I finally drifted off to sleep.

I had to go see the cardio that afternoon for the results of the echo. My head was still hurting something fierce, but not as bad as it was. We only had to stop on the side of the road once for me to get sick. On the way there my husband told me what I'd done while I was blacked out. What I said to the doctor, my actions, etc. I didn't remember any of it at all. He also told me that he saw my BP spike up to over 200/150 during that time.

We get to the cardio and I apologize for anything I may have said or done to offend him, but explained that I actually blacked out and didn't remember it. He said the echo was OK, and sent me home.

That was over 2 years ago, and ever since then I've had one big, long, constant headache. It never completely goes away. Some days are worse than others, and I'm in the bed most of those days. My GP has prescribed me Maxalt for my migraines, and even that doesn't ever take the headache completely away.

Recently (within the past 2 months) I've been having some strange pains in my head. Not headache pain, but sharp, stabbing pain. Sometimes in my temple, sometimes at the base of my skull, sometimes in the front along my forehead. This is an everyday occurance. Sometimes the pain goes down the left side of my neck too. Right now, I'm having them in my left temple area.

I had a neurologist back in 1999 that diagnosed the migraines and high blood pressure and put me on meds for those. He did an MRI back then, that showed no abnormalities. I haven't seen him since 2000 though, as I moved out of that state.

I recently moved to a different state, and have only had one appointment with an Internal Medicine Dr. here to get established. These headaches and sharp pains are scaring me now. This all started with that stress echo and the Atropine, I feel. I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't have some sort of stroke or aneurysm, or something when I was on that table. I haven't had a headache-free day in over 2 years.

Is this something that sounds serious to any of you? Something that I should contact my new doctor and demand to see a neuro? Something that I should just go into the ER for and let them run tests on me, and then take it from there? I don't know what to do here... but these new pains are really worrying me. Has anyone ever experienced these symptoms, or know anything about them? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated... :( :confused:

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42 AM.

© 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!