It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Board Index

:wave: Well, I am recovering very nicely from my rhinoplasty surgery on Monday. Let me share what happened and Ill get into how Im doing now.

So on Monday I arrived half an hour early (like Dr. Pensler told me to). I wore a zip up sweater, sweats, sneakers, glasses, and a baseball cap. I got into the waiting room and one of his assistants handed me a stack of magazines to get my mind off of the surgery. Surprisingly, I was very calm. Its only when she asked me if I was nervous that I started to get nervous. She told me that one of the things Dr. Pensler says is that "If the patient isnt nervous, then I start to get nervous" So I thought, nows a better time as any to get those nerves working!! So I waited 20 minutes while she got the paper work ready. She came over and kinda summarized what was gonna happen. She told me that I would need to sign some forms and then she asked for payment which I gave her. She informed me that Dr. Pensler and the nurse Lori would be getting together with me to prep me for surgery. I gave his assistant the number for the person that was going to pick me up. I had the option of having him park the car and pick me up from the office or having the nurse take me out of the building in a wheelchair. I chose the latter option so he wouldnt have to pay for parking. You have to be released to a responsible adult.

So when the papers were ready, I got taken back to the room where I had my checkup during the consultation. I met Lori at that time. By the way up until this point, I had seen Dr. Pensler once while he was walking out of the office, he said hi and told me that his assistants were getting everything ready. Back in the office with Lori, I had to put on these paper footsie thingies and then I sat down to fill out the paper work. I can tell you the details of what the forms stated if you want to know but it was basically stating that you authorize dr. pensler to perform this surgery on you and you understand that there are no guarantees and u understand the risks, etc.

There were 6 pages total, not too long. While I was filling that out, Dr. Pensler came in and asked me again if I was allergic to anything or if I had anything to eat. I hadnt eaten from the night before and had an afternoon surgery. Get this, while Dr. Pensler was asking me about my allergies, he sneezed so I started freakin out cause he sounded stuffy and it seemed as though he had a cold!!! I wanted to get up and walk out cause I was SOOO scared but Dr. Pensler assured me he was fine and that his eyes would get watery occassionally...Hmmmm??? Not a good thing to tell some one right before you are about to operate on their face...BUT I calmed down and had a few questions for Dr. Pensler. I asked him again about what he was going to do and he was very nice in answering them but I had a few more questions to ask him but it seemed as though he was rushing a bit. I was kinda at the point of no return here so I refused to let these things freak me out. I kept telling myself, I know he's a good doc, he knows what I want and thats all that matters.

He gave me an antibiotic and he walked out and his assistant walked in asked me to go to the washroom. In there I got to look at my fat long nose one last time!! I was beyond excited!! Then she weighed me and walked me into the surgery room.

The last time I was in the hospital was when I was born and had no serious medical issues so I was SUPER nervous once I lied down on the surgical bed. She connected me to a heart monitor and I could hear my heart beat in the room. It was beating so fast so I took a few deep breathes and Lori and Dr Pensler were great in talking to me to calm me down. Dr. Pensler put the IV in my arm which to which I had no reaction. alltaken, you asked me about pain, I have an unusually high tolerance for pain I'd like to think. :) So then Dr. Pensler was getting stuff ready and then they turned those bright surgical lights on. And for a second I wondered, is this the light that people see when they are dying???? Such a bad thought I know but I was nervous of course.

Dr. Pensler then drew alongside my nose to mark what he was going to do. Then Lori told me that she was going to give me some drug that was equivalent to a glass of wine, I've never had a glass of wine before but I knew that it was going to be something to calm my nerves, think it was Valium. She put it in the I was still talking to Lori and I think that was the point when I got knocked out.

I have to say that during the surgery I still felt as though I was talking to Lori and Dr. Pensler although I was just dreaming. Here was the scariest part of the experience...towards the end of the surgery I started to wake up! I actually felt Dr. Pensler tugging at my facial bones NO JOKE. I wanted to grab Dr. Pensler's arm and stop him. OF COURSE I didnt feel the pain.

Heres an example of what I mean, you know how when you go to the dentist and they numb up your face right before they pull your teeth or start drilling. You dont feel any pain but you know that somebody is tugging and yanking away at your mouth. That was the same thing that happened with my nose but I think they might have given me somemore of that anesthesia and I was fine after that.

So I woke up and realized that I was pretty knocked out cause I was talking to Lori about this guy that I liked and how I would kick his butt if he hurt me..hahaha! Dont know where that came from! I started to come to and Lori asked me about my ride, of course it took him a while to find the place. I asked Lori if I could see my face and instantly I saw a huge difference!!! All I could see was the tip cause I had the splint on my face but I had a droopy tip and it was GONE!! Granted I was bloody around my nose and stuff but Lori cleaned that out. I asked if I could sit up, I knew I was kinda still out of it cause I think I asked Lori the same question ten times. I asked her where Dr. Pensler was and she told me he was with another patient. I was enjoying my time with Lori though, she's very very nice. Coulda been the anesthesia but even before that I enjoyed talking to her. So Lori put me in the wheelchair and on my way out I shook hands with Dr. Pensler and said bye to his staff. Of course his building has a bunch of offices in it so the elevator was crowded with ppl. I had brought a cap with me so no one would bump into my face. Unfortunatly, it was raining and I had no umbrella so I just used the folder to sheild my face from the rain as Lori was wheeling me over to the car. (TIP: bring an umbrella or have your ride bring one.) And off I went to recover in my bed...

I felt completely fine after surgery, no nausea, no headaches nothing. I was a little tired and I thought maybe the original drugs they gave me was the reason why I wasnt in any pain but I havent been nauseous or I havent had any pain since. My face was not swollen on the first day but the next day woah baby!!! And today its even poofier, it looks kinda funny actually! Lori called me hte next morning to see how i was doing. You know it really isnt that bad. and its true what they say it looks so much worse than it is. Right now the area around my eyes is swollen and there is some bruising but I feel just fine. One of the things that concerned me was that I was bleeding alot the first day and on tuesday. Lori told me that I will continue to bleed if I keep moving around alot and that I should just stay in bed for 5 hours at a time until today or Thurs. There is still some drainage but not blood so i have gauze under my nose (Lori gave me a pack with some tape).

Of course I cant wait to get this splint off my face and lying around in bed aint no fun but I'd rather be doing that than going to work and I was long overdue for a vacation so this works out great. I feel great and I can see the tip of my nose looks great. All in all, I have to say the experience was good. I mean I didnt have as much attention from Dr. Pensler as I would have liked but to me all I wanted was for him to do a good job and he was very nice when I did talk to him. Of course the major concern as discussed on these boards is how he treats his patients afterwards and that were gonna have to wait and see. All I am concerned about is if my nose looks good and that there are no complications. Im gonna get my splint removed on Monday which will probably be even more nerve wracking then going to the surgery!!

So that was my experience in detail on Monday. I am feeling pretty good about picking Dr. Pensler. It looked like he did a great job but I'll have to fill u in once I see my entire nose on Monday. Let me know if you have any questions about ANY part of my story or if there's something you want to know that I didnt talk about. Ive got plenty of time to answer questions :)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM.

© 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!