It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Foot & Ankle Problems Board Index

[QUOTE=DancingFeet;4101856]Hi everyone - I'm new to these boards, and have been reading all of your posts about bunionectomies with great interest. I am a 50-year old female, and I'm having an Austin Bunionectomy on Wednesday, 10/21. Does anyone have any hot tips about how to prepare for this? I am cleaning my house, bought comfortable clothing, bought groceries, set up a recliner and organized things I think I am going to need, and got my pain med prescription filled. From what I have read (and what the doctor said), it sounds like I need to prepared to be lying around with my foot up for quite a while. I have never had to do anything like this before, so I don't really know what to expect! Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. Also, any advice for coping with the first couple of days after the surgery. I hear it can be pretty bad (eek). I have to admit I am getting a little nervous![/QUOTE]

Hi, I had my Austin 10/2 and have been amazed at how quickly I am gaining mobility. I used crutches for like 2-4 days before feeling comfortable enough to start putting pressure on air boot. Every day foot feels a bit more stable. I had absolutely zero pain at surgical center. Even the IV was painless as they used a bit of lidocaine before inserting.

I did use the hydrocodone/tylenol for first 2-3 days. Day 2 had some discomfort, but completely manageable. I kept waiting for horrible discomfort and it just never happened. At bandage change 5 days post-op I didn't have hardly any swelling or bruising. I had diligently keep my foot elevated and iced though so I think that really made a difference.

The night before surgery I was so nervous I barely slept so I completely understand your pre-op nerves. I had never had anything like this either. It sounds like you've taken all steps to get yourself set at home. I do hope someone is available to assist you for at least the first day if not a few days following. My mother was a godsend and cooked for me and my family for 3 days. Having crackers, drinks, etc. at my bed was very helpful too, particularly for putting a little something in my stomach while taking pain meds.

Rest assured that you will be through this and on the mend in no time. Very Best of luck! : )
Hi everyone, Well I made it through the surgery this morning -- everything went exactly as they had said -- arrived at the surgical center at 6:30 am, surgery started at 7:30 and lasted one hour. Thirty minutes in recovery, then left to come home at 9:00 am. I'm feeling fine at the moment (2:00 pm), but am still numb, so I feel as if I am waiting for the other shoe to drop! I'm hoping the pain will be manageable...

One thing that was a bit of a surprise this morning was as I was sitting in the pre-op room different people would come in and talk to me with all of the usual questions -- anesthesiologist, nurses, my doctor, etc. Then, a young lady came in and introduced herself as the resident who would be "helping" my doctor with the surgery. After she left the room, I started thinking, "After all of the research I have done to find the best doctor I could find, I don't want to be a resident's first surgery!" I know they all have to learn somehow, but I didn't want it to be on me! Anyway, when the nurse came in I asked her what the residents typically do -- and she was honest and said that they "participate" and may actually do the surgery, but my doctor would be there the whole time. So, I politely asked if I could request that my doctor perform the surgery himself. She said that was fine and she would tell my doctor (which I heard her do). I was just wondering if any of you have ever had this experience with any type of surgery? It seems to me that they should have to get your consent for this???

Well, when I woke up from surgery, the first thing I asked the doctor was whether he did the surgery (can't believe I asked him!). He assured me that he did it from start to finish. Anyway, I would like to hear what you guys think. Did I over-react? What would you do in this situation?

Thanks for all the well wishes!! Hopefully my next post will be a good report :dizzy: ...
Hi North, Earth & Everybody,

Shew! Last night was not fun. The pain got pretty intense, so we called the doctor. He said to go ahead and take 2 Lortabs because 1 was not enough. So I did. Not long after that it was time to head upstairs to go to bed (plan is to only tackle the stairs to get to bed at night). By the time I got upstairs I was dizzy, nauseated, sweating and in lots of pain. I learned the hard way that you shouldn't take pain medicine and then try to move around! To make matters worse, I had all of those side effects, and it didn't help the pain! For the next round of meds 4 hours later, I took 1 Lortab and 2 Advil, and that eased the pain so that I was able to sleep. So that is what I am doing now, and today (so far) has been very manageable from a pain perspective. I'm hoping that was the worst of it last night. I've heard that the day after surgery is usually the worst, but I really don't feel bad today. I've got my fingers crossed that last night was as bad as it gets! I've been good with my elevate, elevate, elevate routine! And ice, ice, ice too!

Thanks for all of the great advice and encouragement. Wind, do you have everything organized and ready to go? Turns out one of the best things I did was make a big crock pot of vegetable soup ahead of time.

P.S. I've already called one of my daughters to come over -- hubbie has been very sweet, but I can tell he is growing tired of nursing duty!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:33 AM.

2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!