It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Foot & Ankle Problems Board Index

Hi Polly (hope you don't mind me addressing you as Polly, more personable) ;)

My 2nd visit to my foot doctor (who is the also the one who performs on my surgery) is tomorrow late afternoon. My hubby will come home a bit earlier and drives me to see her. Her clinic is about 20 minutes by highway from my home at the other end of the town. Which is not too bad for distance-wise.

Hubby has been wonderful and loving to me. He took some days off to care for me right after the surgery. My 15 years old daughter has also been at home the past week as her mid term break, so I was lucky to time my surgery this way. Starting tomorrow, I'll be on my own at home during the week as hubby is at work and my daughter will be back to school after mid-term break. I'll have lots of time reading, resting, writing emails, chatting on this newly joined forum, and researching on many other things I have never had time to do 'sitting down'. I have always work full time since I moved to Canada from Hong Kong 20 years ago as a young lady, so apart frommy maternity leave for my daugther's birth back in 1995 for 6 months, I have always work my butt off hard :dizzy:

It is so nice you can hoovering! Woo! I long to get back on my feet soon. My home is a bit messy now as I have been 'ingoring' the mess due to my 1st week post-op. I have hoping this is into my 2nd week, things can be healing more as the days progress. I long to be able to do my own laundry, hoovering, cook my own little meals and able to just to be 'moblie' enough to eventually walk a little outside by a cane or so and sit at the courtyard outside of our apartment. The Spring has really sets in for Vancouver and the weather can be sunny and nice some days, with occasional rain. The past few days have been beautiful with the early Spring feel. I really wish I could be well enough to sit outdoors even just for a little bit.

The swelling at my foot is going down a lot, I could tell, compares to last week post-op. I have trying to move my foot in a front and back motion and draw circles in the air with it when lying in bed for sitting with my foot up. I hope tomorrow the doc can give me good news as to the removal of stitches and if miracle happens, she can also remove the pin. Otherwise, everything should be able to be removed by 3rd week (early April).

I only had 1 penny size bleeding post op, but otherwise everything looks good to my doc during my last visit 5 days post-op.

You know Polly, I have been trying to keep very positive, staying sociable to talk to friends over the phone, and let them come to my home for visits so to keep my spirit up and to avoid depression. I had a mild post-patrum depression for about 3 weeks after I gave birth to my daughter. I was a bit worried that this operation my trigger this kind of depression again.

For the last week, I did have my 'blue' days on and off, and slowly I am getting better. I guessed this blue is very normal from reading off the forum.

I only used my velco 'moon boot' when I have to go out for doc visits or go to church (yes I am a faithful Christian and going to church really helps me during this recovery time. My pastor said a little prayer for my foot for speedy healing).... as my foot is bundled up with thicker bandage - it is a bit tight to fit into the boot. I can velco it loosely but still love to let my foot breath at home when I am taking it easy.

My job is 'watching' me tightly for my sick leave - as my company's insurance is covering my sick leave so far. They approved 4 weeks so far. Any further sick leave my doc will have to fill out more medical forms, which I know my doc will push for me. She knows well that it is best to try for more than 4 weeks if it works. She is trying to push to 6 weeks off for me. That is why I really pray that my healing can be speedy!

From yesterday, my foot started to itch at the bottom. May be due to the bundled up for the past 10 days. I hope this is also a sign of recovery. I no longer need to ice the foot that much nowadays compares to the 1st post op week. Just very occasionally if I had my foot down for longer down than expected.

I love the description of where you live - a livery yard! This is the kind of life of my dream. You must live at the country side of the town? I live at North Vancouver which is the other side of downtown Vancouver.

I remember you also lives near Yorkshire?? I went to a Boarding School in West Yorkshire, near Leeds area. I was there as a Boarder for almost 9 years. Those were to good innocent years, I was only a teenager studying my O & A levels !! I still love some of the photos I kept from my school days there. I really missed England that way. I always tell my family and friends about the Yorkshire & my lovely boarding school days.

Take care. Hubby is putting on a simple late dinner - it is 8:30pm our time in Vancouver. As tomorrow is a work day for him (and a school day for my daughter), we will be going to bed prior to 10:00pm.

Chat to you after the doc visit tomorrow to see how things go :)

Thanks for all the support on-line :angel:

Hotdog girl.

[QUOTE=polly54;4716497]Hi Hotdog girl, what a tremendous suprise to get a reply from you- and all the way from Canada too. I'm afraid I had to have a day more or less in bed after doing far too much the day before. I felt that I had really cracked this recovery business and was practically skipping about in my snazzy (not) velcro sandals; painting, sewing, hoovering, cooking and on more than one occasion forgetting about my feet- which was rather nice. I even went with my husband, who drove, to our livery yard where I tottered about amongst the horses and filled the odd hay net. Yesterday however I felt exhausted and realised that I had been pushing it so I spent the day mostly sleeping and sitting with feet up. Feel better for it today and again having to resist the temptation to rush at everything.
I really have had very little pain or swelling in either foot (with minimal medication) and I put this down to the minimally invasive technique that is being trial'd here and apparently has been given NICE approval as the procedure of choice. I recall the consultant said that there have only been a total of 600 cases to have the procedure-not sure if that was in UK only so I suppose I have been a bit of a guinea pig.It was done on the NHS. It involved a general anaesthetic, 2x 2 cm cuts above and below the bunion, a metal pin attached by 3 screws to the bone, chevron cut in 2 places to allow for the straightening and no stitching. A tournacay (realise that's wrong spelling)had been used to stem blood flow during the op. Then my feet were thickly and quite tightly bandaged and i'm pleased to say didn't bleed post-op and I was given the velcrO sandal which i soon got the hang of. The op took about an hour and I came home about 5 hours later.
The recovery period so far has really been fine and as I said I have had to keep reminding myself what I have had done and the need to take it steadily.
Tomorrow I am due back at the clinic to have the dressings off and hopefully to move into thick padded socks and soft shoes or to have another dressing on. i presume i will have feet x-rayed to look at progress.
In some respects I feel i will be more vulnerable to damaging myself when back in normal shoes (I have a couple of pairs of washable Ugg type boots in the washer as we speak) and inclined to fly around again. Can't risk stubbing my foot/feet and will need to ask tomorrow about how much i can do and what would be the (worst) consequences of bumping feet. Suppose most of it will be guided by the amount of pain. I am hoping that I am ok by the 6 weeks mark -as far as driving, dog walking and riding are concerned but expect to be signed off sick leave in a weeks time. My work is office based and sedentary so I should be ok and have warned colleagues that I might need to adopt the feet on desk position for a few weeks. I think I will feel better when i am back in routine and 'out there'.
I inherited my bunions from my Mother; all her sibs and my maternal cousins have strange feet, but not necessarily bunions. My Mother had hers done40 years ago- big cuts/ scars and done separately so legs in pots for well over a year. The pain was described as worse than childbirth, so I was well put off. Then over the last few years, despite always wearing flat, wide shoes (EEE) and keeping fit I have been beset by painful swollen and very limiting feet, especially in summer. I had gone to see GP about something else but when asked about why i was limping, ended up in tears and so came to realise the extent to which i had been putting on a brave face. The process from referral to being seen took about 4 months which i feel is excellent. After seeing the nurse tomorrow i am booked in to see the surgeon on 12/5 when i hope i will be fit for discharge.

So I am very pleased with it all so far but might be less clever tomorrow pm after seeing my new feet for the first time. I will take pictures though and attempt to attach them to FB and would be interested in your verdict. Whether i will get the swelling after the fairly restrictive dressings come off remains to be seen but I always have my super velcros to fall back on (pun not intended)
Anyway need to stand up so will close and wish you a continued good recovery.

Keep smiling. We have the summer, just around the corner, to enjoy our new feet (or foot in your case). x[/QUOTE]
Hi Profmia:

Your posting said you had a bunion removal 2 years ago for your left foot, was this operation for your R foot a lot different in operation procedure than the L foot?
As you could see from my previous posting that I had my bunion surgery done (austin cut) for my right foot (I am right handed too) just around mid march of this year. It has been just past 4 months (and 2 weeks) as of today. I am feeling good and happy with my recovery.

I had one long pin in my foot, and was removed after 4.5 weeks,after a 2nd x-ray was done and ensured that the new bone is forming good.

Like you, I was VERY worried and almost got into a depression during the first 3 weeks post op. Mostly due to the pain & change of lifestlye (crutches became my friend) and the feeling of not-so-useful, and dependence upon my husband. I am an outgoing full time working mom, so being home bounded for weeks was killing me. I was drosy the 1st week too due to the amount of pain killers I had to take to ease the post op pain. Anyway, I was told not to shower for 3 full weeks or until the wound is closed up (my surgeon checked me every week and changed the dressing for me). I had a little drainage 24 hours after my surgery but it quickly stopped. My doc was fantastic and encouraged me every week when I saw her. I done the surgery by this private foot surgeron so I could see her for post-op visit weekly based on her schedule. After about 3 weeks, the wound closed and I could take shower (but be very careful not to slip inside the shower). I was wearing a plastic leg cover called 'seal tight' to cover my entire leg and with the help of hubby, I could take a bath every other day without getting the operated right foot wet. So, I lived like that for 3 weeks, and rejoiced when I could be independent to take showers. Then, when I could stand a bit better, I slowly become even more independent every part of my daily life. I was told to bear weight gently after about 4 weeks, heel first, and then after 5 days, mid part of the foot as well, and another 5 days, I could start to be brave and bare weight for the whole foot - bit by bit. Then, by 5 week, I could walk a bit without crutches (but wearing my support boot) and walk a bit here and there around the home and very very short distance. Later, after about 6 weeks, I could walk more on my boot for short walks!! Rejoice - finally I can leave my home longer!!! Then, back to work at 7th week post-op, wore the support boot for 1 week, then learned to let go of the boot and wore runners to work, again, lifting my foot up as often as I could in the office. I placed a paper box under my desk and that helped me for weeks!! Now, I don't even need to lift my foot up that often during the day, and can go without the box for an entire work day. Just some very minor swelling left here and there during some evenings after work. I will have good warm bath with bath salts to let my foot relax, and it helps me sleep well. As of today, I can wear normal soft leather office style shoes (almost back to my normal size again. I have been wearing a pair of size 7 soft leather shoes for a while, I am normally a 6.5
This don't bother me as the extra half size gives me more space in case the foot swells a little bit.
I can go for long walks again, not ready back for jogging yet. I should see my foot doc again by late Aug or early Sept (I only need to see her once every 2 months now), and if she gives me the OK, I should be back to my yoga, my jogging and a bit of running by Fall. I still need to massage and do a lot of foot exerices to keep my scar tissue relax and flexible, so not to get lazy and sniff due to the healing from the operation. I still feel the tightness around the wound area at my big toe every now and then, so I am also seeing my physico person to keep practising on the foot exercises. I am almost there!
I am going to be 44 in late August and before my surgery, walking a block would be painful to me. I had to give up hiking 2 years ago due to my bunion pain, it was not huge but was pressing on a nerve under my foot, therefor the pain was intense when it happened. I checked into many options and tried them all. After seeing my foot doc for a year, I decided to go ahead while I am younger and still want to be more active. She does a great job and very caring. For now, I am trying to make sure my R foot heals 100% before I starting thinking of my L foot. My L foot also has a bunion and I am sure eventually it will get to me. Just a matter of time (I was given a window of 3 more years)....Very likely, I should operate on it within 3 years, once I saved up the $ and emotionally ready to do this all over again. I also need to pick a good time to go off work, as my office is a busy office. My 7 weeks off was a new thing to them and my coworkers have been great to me. I cherish them a lot for covering my work all those time.

For the scar, I have been using Vit E cream given by my foot doc. I have also massage organic olive oil to the scar area nightly after it was all healed together with the vit E cream. So far, the scar is there but not 'toooo bad' considering the operation I had. I will continue to take care of the scar hoping to make it as minimal as possible.

Recovery does take time, and is a testing of patience. It is well worth it now that I looked back. I have to thank my dear hubby, daughter (she is now 16) and many great friends and coworkers for visiting, encouragement and helping me during my 7 weeks. Those are the main line support for me to get through this, emotionally and physically. I also say a lot of prayers too, and they are of spiritual comfort to me when I was really down!

Take care and don't worry too much. A happy mood will really lift up your spirit and helps the healing. Have peace! Keep writing us notes here if they help you :angel:

Hotdog girl

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:10 PM.

2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!