It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Foot & Ankle Problems Board Index

I had posterior tibial tendon repair with calcaneal osteotomy, lapidus and gastroc lengthening on May 6. So, not the same surgery... but similar in recovery (I think?)

I'm 44 and was really active until this injury starting getting too bad to ignore about a year ago so I know how you feel!!

I was NWB for 6 weeks. I started with walking boot and crutches at exactly 6 weeks post op. I was told to bear about 1/3 weight at first, then increase every couple of days or when I felt ready. I was off the crutches completely in a week.

Ended up spending 5 weeks in the walking boot due to the fusion in the lapidus site not being complete. I just got out of the boot this week :) With the boot on I could actually walk and get around pretty well. Now, I'm just out of it (11 weeks post op), and can walk pretty well in my good sneakers. Probably won't be going on any long hikes or anything... but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Didn't use an ice machine. Just a regular ice pack behind the knee.

Pain. The first week is hard. I had outpatient surgery. Once the nerve block wore off pain came on like a freight train. I was given Percocet and Vistaril. 2 of each every 4 to 6 hrs. Honestly, at first, it didn't help much at all. I was in a lot of pain. During the 3rd night I vowed to call my doctor in the am and demand something else... but the next day things finally started to calm down and be in control. The pain from foot surgery (as I'm sure you've read here) is really bad. I had a cervical fusion 2 years ago and that was a piece of cake compared to this. I also have 3 kids, including a set of twins where the 2nd one was a breech extraction... so I know pain, haha!

Good luck with your surgery!! You will be through it and recovering before you know it.
Hi there,

I had foot reconstruction surgery in January. 2 weeks NWB surgical cast, 4 weeks NWB cast, 3 weeks PWB in walking boot, then very cushiony Brooks Glycerins.

I got an ice machine, and I used it more after the casts came off to take down swelling at the end of the day.

I will not lie, the first few days were pretty terrible pain-wise. My surgery was ~ 9 am, and by 1 or 2 pm the nerve block wore off. I had oxycodone, which I alternated with Tylenol. Called surgeon when things got very bad and took the oxy every 2 hours for a while. By day 3 or 4 I wasn't taking anything.

Once the initial pain settles down, the pain is minor (at least for me) -- until I started walking again, especially in the tennis shoes. Now, at 6 months, I don't have any pain and I am comfortable walking about a mile at a time. More than that and I do get achy.

Good luck with surgery and recovery -- it is quite a grueling process.
Welcome to the club!
Reading all the above I was given the short straw! I had my surgery in mid January. I was NWB surgical cast for 4 weeks, then NWB fiberglass cast for 8 weeks, then I was allowed to go PWB in a boot for 4 weeks by which time I was able to be FWB and wear a shoe.
I'm now 6 months or so and am comfortable too, can walk distances without pain...which is awesome!
For me the first 1 1/2 weeks was the roughest. I was given oxycodone ( Percocet is too harsh on me), after that the boredom just sucked! Hang in there!
Good luck tomorrow!
Hi all,
I thought I'd revive this thread since I recently underwent surgery. Hopefully some of the original posters are still around and maybe some new ones too.

I'm a 64 yo male with a worn out left foot. Five days ago I had peroneal tendon repair including fusing the two together, deepening of the bone groove, and calcaneal osteotomy. The doctor commented that the tendons were, "a royal mess", but he said the surgery went well. I had the nerve block in back of the knee, and it lasted 28 hours. I was in hospital overnight for observation. There was weird tingling in the foot when the block wore off, but otherwise my pain has been minimal. Any of the oxy- or narcotic pain meds make me sick, so they prescribed Tramadol. Due to the low pain level though, I've only been taking one Tramnadol at bedtime to help me sleep and 2 Tylenol in the morning. I could stop all pain meds now with no problem. I've been keeping the foot at or above heart level, and there's been no appreciable swelling. I haven't been using ice.

I'm in a surgical cast for 2 weeks and then a "removable cast", whatever that is, for 4 weeks. The first 6 weeks is NWB, and then I suppose a boot of some sort that will be PWB. I've been sleeping with no problems. My biggest issue has simply been getting around to take care of the essentials like going to bathroom, bathing, etc. After 5 days I'm getting very tired of being inactive and confined mostly to this one room. I have crutches, a walker, a scooter, and a wheelchair at my disposal. I've mostly used the walker and wheelchair so far.

That's my story. If any of the earlier posters are still monitoring, how are you doing now? Once you began bearing weight on the heel, did the pain increase? Have you opted to leave the screws in? What was your rehab like? Did you lose a lot of muscle strength during recovery? I'm very thankful that we have the technology and skills today to put us back together when we fall apart. Hope to hear from some of you!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 PM.

2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!