It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

Hearing Disorders Board Index

Hi everyone,

First of all, boy am I glad I found this board after days of googling!!! I'm 23 years old and have suffered hearing loss in both ears since I was 19. The loss was so gradual that I finally noticed its impact when I realised I couldn't catch clearly what my lecturer was saying in class. I can no longer hear someone if he/she doesn't face me when speaking and most of friends pointed out that my speaking voice is getting softer. I got really depressed (esp when people look at you funny when you answer their questions wrongly or when you keep asking them to repeat what they're saying) and this started to affect my self-esteem. It was then that my family encouraged me to seek medical advice.

Last month, I visited an ENT specialist and he told me that I have moderate hearing loss equally in both ears and from the pattern of my loss, he confirmed I have ostosclerosis. After crying buckets over this revelation :D , I heeded my doc's strong advice and underwent the stapedectomy procedure last Mon (Jan 29th) on my right ear.


I went through the surgery under general anaesthesia and woke up feeling like crap! I had moderate pain but was extremely dizzy and nausea (esp when I tried to turn my head) and and the right part of my tongue felt numb. For the first three days, I was dizzy from the pain meds and I can't talk well (my jaw feels tight) and I can't chew my food w/o feeling discomfort in my ear. Finally on the fourth day, I woke up in the morning with no ear pain and dizziness. Yay!

However one problem that I have is my constant burping and belching since the op. Each time I burp, I can feel something moving in my ear (no pain) but it feels pretty scary. I'm scared my eardrum or the piston will move!

Today is the 8th day after op. I just had an appointment with my doc today and he told me everything looks fine. Pfft, I didn't get to ask him my burping problem since he was so fast! :-(

So far, I can't really hear much with my operated ear (right ear). If I close my left ear, I can only hear the radio or tv when the volume is turned up really high and it has this weird muffled echo and hollow sound. Yikes! Doc told me the packing would be removed next wk and I really hope my right ear will not worsen!

So that's it. So far I'm only on my sinus medication, braving the crackling, ringing and sometimes the sound of my heartbeat in my operated ear. In the mean time, I'm really glad I've found other people in this board who've had similar experiences as mine. At least I won't drive myself crazy over all this worrying alone. Hehe... Goodday everyone!

Hi Carol and noeli!

I had a terrible sleep last night. I woke up at 4am and my nose felt really itchy from my sinus allergy and I started sneezing for abt 6 times!!!! I made sure to sneeze with my mouth open and I don't really feel any pressure change in my ear but it's still scary!!!! I kept imagining the piston is moving around. :confused:

Other than that I'm feeling ok. Just for a while today, I had this weird echo in my ear when I speak. Reading through the forums, I realised this is normal (hehe..thank God).

Nonetheless, thanks for all your encouragement Carol and noeli, I shall be very, very patient with the results. Who knows, maybe there will be some form of an improvement after my 2 week mark. :)

Hi all,

Right after I had the surgery, I didn’t experience any noticeable changes in taste. That was one of the possible short term affects of this procedure. I don’t know if that’s because I had an immediate [U]major[/U] improvement in my hearing that was overwhelming and had lots of dizziness or what.

I’m now 3 weeks post-op and for the last 3 days I have noticed a metallic taste on the front of my tongue on the operated ear side and a very sweet taste on the back part of my tongue. I’ll be sitting here and all the sudden I just get this sweet taste and my mouth produces an extreme amount of saliva then it will switch to the metallic taste and my mouth goes dry. When I’m eating, the food still tastes as it should but all other times the two tastes just keep alternating. It’s a really weird sensation.

Looking back, I think I may have actually not had [U]any taste [/U]on that side of the tongue those 3 weeks and since I was checking for “strange tastes” but food still tasted normal, I didn’t notice the absence of it on that side.

****BUMP**** hehe (this too shall pass)

My hearing is continuing to get clearer every day. I have talked on the phone exclusively with my right ear for the last 20 years or so because I just couldn’t hear anything with the left when trying. Being able to do that is one of the things I have been really looking forward to. I purposely hadn’t even tried until yesterday because I didn’t want to be disappointed. The hearing was still too muffled, distorted, not clear or whatever you want to call it to try. Since the last few days have been awesome with the improvement in clarity, last night I finally decided it was “time” to put the bionic ear to the test. YAAAY:blob_fire It sounded good. Not perfect because there is still a little distortion, but well enough to have a conversation without having to strain to understand. That was a wonderful feeling and I just sat there and talked with this goofy little grin on my face.

More later:wave: ,

Hi Carol and All,
Today I completed 1 Week after surgery and went for my first return visit with the doctor. The office was packed (as ususal) and I took a 10 Question sheet to ask him right away. The weird thing is that "he did not ask me anything", not even how I did I do the last 7 days...Here's a summary:
- He removed the packing (with the help of a micro-vacuum cleaner, I'm not kidding )
- Ask me if I hear anything. I said I hear very low and ditorted like in a tin can.
- No more need for cottonballs
- release me to shower with no ear protection but no swimming.
- I may take a flight in one week from now.
Unbelievable...very different from my first doctor, much more conservative.

Anyway, today was also my first day back to work. I'm already driving and I confess it's much more comfortable to speak on the phone through my "good ear" rather than personally where you need to be lip reading to make sure you got the meassage. I'm still dizzy and I need to concentrate to walk on a straight line. Did not feel quite OK on my first day back. When I went out to lunch, I felt disoriented with too much noise coming into one ear only. It seemed that everyone was screaming at the restaurant. Not comfortable at all. Then I had to set my mind to have a lot of patience because this will be a gradually slow moving development process. Patience pays and I keep on remembering the evolution of my 1st surgery.

Carol, I never had a different tasting (metallic or sweet). On my 1st surgery I believe my dizziness went out completely after a month or so. What I do remember is that shortly after that, my life got back to normal. So normal that I just forgot for a long time I had that surgery in the past. And that for me is the best sign. If you forget it's because it does not bother you anymore and it's not an issue. No restrictions, swimming , flights, even scuba diving. I'm looking forward to those days again as I'm still entering my 2nd week after surgery and have a long way to go. Meanhwile, I'll have to cope with alll these several discomforts: stuffy ear (even without the packing) , still low and bad quality hearing and dizziness. It seems I have a malfunction and will not be fixed again but this is just a feeling that will go away day by day.

So be strong and have a lot of patience to heal yourself.
It's so great to read the reports of other's experiences. It just reminds me how alone I was in 1990, 91, and 92 when I had my first 3 operations (no world wide web).

My first three operations I had bandages on the outside of my ear and had to change the dressing all the the time. This time . . . nothing. No bandages (and he cut a piece of cartlidge in my ear this time--that was new compared to the old operations). A nurse in post-op put a cotton ball in the ear and I pretty much just used that technique for the first week or so (well, as long as I had bleeding). For showers I had left over shower caps from Vegas (the Luxor puts them in these cool little cardboard pyramids, so I grabbed a few of em and brought em home--they work great!!).

I am at 11 days and feeling so much better. the numbness in my taste buds has subsided, but there is still some weird sweet/salt taste (salty foods, I discovered, make it worse). I expect it to subside. However, my doctor told me that few people want to have a fourth operation, as I chose to do, because each time they lose taste sensation (and there is the possibility of the metallic taste never going away or the taste forever being altered).

Well, I hope everyone's operation is a success. I know how hard this is and I also know how hard it is when it doesn't work. I find myself trying hard to be optimistic, but also wanting (emotional) distance and not expecting too much. But, I have to admit, I am getting excited. Oh yeah, today when I was giving a lecture, my ear would pop open while I was talking (so the volume would come and go really fast -- god, how distracting). I can't wait to have my post-op consultation and find out where things are and where I stand.
Today is one week since my surgery or post op day 8.

Rob, you are so NOT an age to worry about! 45 is young! Hee hee, my husband is 49! We have an age difference (i'm 33) so it's always fun to hear what other peoples perspectives are on their own age. Age truly is a state of mind, I'm convinced of that. Aside from music tastes and memories of historical events, one absolutely cannot tell. Actually, I think my husband is about 17 age wise ;-). I will say prayers for each of you tonight that your ears heal and you can hear!! I cant wait to see how mine has done. I've become very withdrawn over the years from social settings. It's almost a lonely feeling. I've been fantasizing lately about going out with my husband and feeling confident and carrying on conversations without saying, "what was that? I'm sorry, I didn't hear that I have hearing loss, can you speak up?" and then when I still can't hear, do the smile and nod and pretend like I heard. LMAO! I can imagine that each of you know that feeling! I've always preferred doing things over the phone rather than in person.

My taste is still off...I notice too that salty things bring out a super sweet taste on the other side of my mouth. It's easy enough to ignore. I've had some weird sounds the last couple of days. There are times when our house becomes pretty loud (we have a 5 year old and three teens...all girls) and I've found some sounds becoming my voice sounds like it has an underwater sound to it or a loud voice sounds more like a whistle....

Oh the's driving me BONKERS! My post op is on friday. I really hope I get the packing taken out then.

Regarding my activity...I paid for it yesterday. Yesterday was probably the worst day I've had with constantly feeling like I'm leaning or falling sideways. :dizzy: So I will now start listening to my body and taking it easy when I need to. Today I dont feel like I'm leaning over and I've only had one episode of buzziness (knocking on wood) so I really hope this is a sign that it's going to subside.

Matt that's wonderful news!!! Even with this packing in, I'm catching myself hearing things I haven't heard before. I heard our heater come on yesterday. I've never heard that. I was hearing a chirpy sound in the back yard and searched everywhere until I saw a humming bird pirched on one of our was chirping. I had NO IDEA humming birds made any sound! LOL... (i was amazed also at just seeing one sitting still!). I think I will miss sleeping like a baby though. That is one of the benefits of hearing loss. :-)

The jury is still out on wether or not I'll do my other ear in a few months also. I hope that I get this great hearing and all of this will be worth it and I'll forget how crappy it feels to be off balance. My unoperated ear has a 65db loss and the gap is huge...I'm actually capable of hearing in that ear below the decibles of normal hearing. I opted to do my other ear first because the tinnitus is so loud and I'm hoping that sound will mask it.

Have a great day everyone. Would love to hear how the rest of you are doing. Carol... I'll second the grattitude. This string has really encouraged me and helped me not feel so alone and anxious (those hearing people have NO idea!).
Update from my appt (4 weeks post op):

Well, I went yesterday, I told the ent that I'm feeling like I DID have a dramatic improvement in hearing 3 weeks ago and that since then, it's gone away. So he cleaned out my ear and gave me a hearing test. The office was so busy that I had to reschedule to come back to talk about the results (my daughter had a soccer game starting). I got a message on my voice mail after. He looked over the results and wants me to have an x-ray to see if the prosthesis has slipped. :confused:

I'm releived to hear that in a weird way, because it confirms what I've been experiencing...that my great hearing has gone away and I'm not crazy. But it saddens me as well. I'm guessing if that's the case, I'll need to have the surgery again, right?? Has anyone experienced this?

I knew the risks going into this and decided to take them. Guess I wasn't part of the 90% success rate. I'm just thankful I'm not completey deaf! If I had to go through the rest of my life with my hearing the way it is, I'm OK with that.

I do hope this can be corrected though! If this ear can't be fixed, i just cant take the risk with my other ear (both had about equal hearing loss due to otosclerosis..right now my unoperated ear is hearing BETTER than my operated ear).

Please send prayers, good vibes and good wishes!

I'll update you all once I have new info.
Hello everyone!

I had my left ear done 6 months ago and it was the best decision I ever made.

For those of you having the surgery or trying to decide, just do it. You have a few days of misery and a lifetime of good hearing.

The first day you will NOT be able to do much. Even if you are a busy body, your body will not let you. Go ahead and pop in a movie or watch a good talk show but believe me you won't even make it through the whole thing without falling asleep. Sleep will be your savior for getting you through the dizziness.

Make sure you have someone around to help you get around. You will walk a little sideways at first.

Stick to liquids!!! Even though I tried to have tomato soup for dinner (5-6 hrs after surgery), it still came back up. Water and juice stayed down fine. The next day I could eat normal.

You will experience popping/crackling in your ear. It is a weird sensation and kind of startling but very normal. It feels like your ear is FULL of water.

Don't try to move your head quickly or sit up fast, this is an invitation for dizziness. Though you will be dizzy no matter what, I found that just closing my eyes and taking a deep breath seemed to help.

If you are one of the lucky ones to have improved hearing right away just note that some sounds will be very magnified and most everything will be muffled. Even your own voice will sound loud in your head. I couldn't talk on the phone for a few days because my own voice was too loud. I had to whisper. Other sounds that I found VERY loud and quite annoying was the lawnmower, my husband would mow and I would tell him to hurry because it was too loud. Wind, yes I said WIND! Actually hearing it was such a treat but when it would blow in my ear it would be so loud I had to move away from it. Having the car window down a little was a big no-no. The dog barking, I yelled at my dog so many times to stop barking. Normal sounds like voices and the tv were fine. Just being able to hear the tv was WONDERFUL!!! Before the surgery when I would be home alone I would sneak and put on the closed captioning. I didn't want anyone to know I was doing this because I was embarrassed about it.

By the 3rd or 4th day my dizziness was gone. By the fifth day I was well enough to stay at a cabin for the weekend with my family (this is where I heard the wind for the first time). I still took it easy but I was no longer dizzy.

The loud noises lasted about 2 weeks. Now my hearing is normal

I had the metallic taste in my mouth for a couple weeks and some foods had a weird taste/sensation to them. The left side of my tongue would feel kind of buttery (that's the best I can explain it). Like I had to much butter or cream on my tongue. Some foods tasted weird, like spaghetti, milk, ketchup. I've lost sensation to sour things on that side only. Now all foods taste normal, except sour stuff I think that may be gone for good....but oh well. I don't have the buttery feeling anymore either. One thing that has lasted is when I touch my ear it makes my tonge tingle......weird I know.

I put surgery off for many years. I am so happy I decided to do it. After about 2-3weeks you're normal again with full hearing. I no longer have to be embarrassed, avoid conversation with friends and co-workers, I missed so many good stories and jokes, I no longer have to fake laugh pretending like I heard the joke, I was so sick of saying "what" that I just started saying yes, ok, nod my head like I heard the person. People have ask my friends why I was ignoring them. I'm done with that!!!! People don't expect a 27 yr old to start losing her hearing so a lot of people just didn't get it. Even when I told them I couldn't hear them they still didn't understand. I REALLY could not hear them it wasn't just a figure of speech. This was the best thing i've ever done.

JUST GET THE SURGERY! You'll thank yourself!
Yeah, I am hearing the heartbeat now, but it doesnt bother me. I was freaked out by somethings yesterday though. First, I was going stir-crazy. I am not the kind of person to just sit around filling my time up watching television and reading. I HAD to get out of the house. My hubby and I went to Dairy Queen. BAD IDEA! THe sound of the blizzard machines were over-stimulating.

The second weird thing was when I was watching CSI Miami and they were doing a hearing test on someone to prove they were near a gunshot. They played a very low frequency sound and it sounded like it was inside my head. I freaked out and my husband had to calm me down.

The final thing was that I was watching Kelly Clarkson perform on some late night show. She started off singing in a very, very low key and again, it sounded like it was in my head. Don't know what all of this means, but I hope it means things are going well.

Also, I woke up this morning sleeping on my operated ear and there was blood on my cotton ball. Do you think this could have caused any problems?

Thanks for the advice on dry shampoos Monica. I will have to look those up!

By the way, other than a little bit of pain this morning, I am feeling great again. I think I may actually go out with my husband today to watch the Ottawa-Buffalo hockey game with our friends! Go Sens Go!
Okay, so Day 15 has come and gone. The reverb is finally subsided. I went to Mount Rushmore over the weekend (it was a long weekend in Canada to celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday, really). I did not have any trouble with the elevation changes. My husband made a comment that my ear must be driving me mad because his were and I guess because it was the same sensation I had had for two weeks, I didn't even notice.

My feeling in my tongue is back and I had my first appt with the Dr. He said that some doctors cut the nerve that leads to the metallic taste or numbness and when they do that it takes up to six months to recover! I thanked him for not cutting it completely because I really dont want my chips to taste creamy and that is what the effect of the numbess was for me.

Anyway, most of the packing is disolved and there is still a bit of old blood in there. I started back at work yesterday, and despite having a great bunch of students who all wanted to know about my surgery (it was all biology classes) I was exhausted by the end. But it might have been the driving 45 min each way more than the students. I had three business classes this morning and was thakning God that I only had a half day of subbing today, because they were horrible and I had to send a student to the office for the first time (I sub at this school often). I slept from 2 until 4 after that.

I am happy that life is now back to normal. I pick up my neices and nephew and drive everywhere. I am teaching tomorrow afternoon (these kids are CRAZY though) and all day Monday, so I am really back into the swing. I start my job (again) at Payless on Monday so we will see how exhausted I am then.

The weird thing is, all my doctor prescribed to me after the surgery was pain meds. There were no antibiotics or drops. Huh?

Carol - you know better than the rest of us that things are going to get better. It was because of you that all of my "problems" after the surgery were seen as just par for the course. I had a really bad day on day three, so I understand, but really that was it. You will get through this and just remember how well you hear out of your other ear now. In a few months that will be your newly operated ear and your hearing will be almost perfect. Rest lots and take care of yourself.
My name is Justine and I'm 18 years old. I just recently had a Stapedectomy on the 19th of September which makes it day 5.

This operation was my second one in the same ear as the new bone had fallen out. Since it was the second time around I knew what I was in for and surprisingly so when I woke up I didn't feel that dizzy. I had more pain than before since they had to re-open the wound but it wasn't that bad. I've been hearing my heart beat through my ear and that sizzling sound in my ear. One thing I'm a bit worried is that I've been hiccuping a bit which make my ear feel weird for a second.

Right now, I'm feeling much better but whenever I talk my voice sounds hallow which I find extremely weird! I can't really hear that well yet but it's pretty much hallow.

I have my first Post-Op appointment on Thursday (27th) to get the packing removed.

I pray to god that the healing process is going to plan, I really don't want to go through the whole operation failed once again. So this time around I'm really calm and not stressing overly like I did the first time and I've been extremely careful.

I really hate the fact that I can't doing much jogging or contact sports since I just started an exercise program. My doctor said I should steer clear for three months, I really can't wait that long!

I'm glad I found this forum!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 PM.

© 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!