It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

Hearing Disorders Board Index

Hi Soulonmyboots!
I am one day ahead of you in recovering. I'm sorry to hear that you've been so dizzy. I went under on Wednesday and have felt pretty good thusfar. Really mild side effects. I was sore the day after in my shoulders and neck too. My ear is worse with regard to hearing too but that's b/c of the packing. I am noticing better hearing each day. I am noticing crackling when I swallow today which makes me think the packing is beginning to dizzolve.

I also have noticed a change in my tastebuds. It resembles the post dentist novicane taste on the operated side only. Weird.I also get a quick dizzy feeling if I burp but not with sneezing or yawning.

Today I tried to do too much and am paying for it. I drove to the pharmacy and felt great then a few hours later took my son to gymnastics 15 minutes away. The drive there was fine but I felt a bit "drunk" on the ride home which scared me. Obviously I made it home okay but realized I'm not quite ready to do all of my normal things yet, like going to work (shucks! :)).

If you can, take your time with everything. You'll feel better as each day passes. Good luck!
Patsy -

Sounds like you got some of the worse of the potential surgery side effects. I didn't have issues with taste/numbness, but I read a lot on it and everything (including my doctors beforehand) said it would return to normal. However, it could take up to a couple months. So, stay patient!

Don't shovel anymore snow!!! Yes, that is something you should not have done. You will probably be ok, but you really need to not lift anything over the weight of a phone book - probably for at least a month, but check with your doctor. That's not much. Before surgery, I didn't realize how much lifting impacts the pressure in your ear but it does. Ever notice that pressure increase in your head/ears when your straining to lift something? Even small lifting increases that pressure, though you may not notice it at smaller weights. Your ear needs to heal without the extra pressure.

On showering with the cotton ball and vaseline - I went through two jars of vaseline, so I can relate. I also had a tear in my ear drum during surgery, so the doctor had me go two months with no water in the ear. I got used to it after a while. I was paranoid in the beginning that the cotton/vaseline wouldn't work, but he reassured me it was sufficient. You'll feel liberated when you have the first shower after you no longer need it!

I've noticed everyone's doctors give slightly different orders and schedule follow up differently. I went every week after surgery, but that could have been due to my torn ear drum. The packing pretty much dissolves on its own, but sometimes they'll clean it out what's left at the follow up. It can dry hard, so he may give you drops to loosen it up.

Sleeping on the ear is probably not an issue. My doctor never mentioned not doing it, but some people on here recommend different sleeping methods. I slept on mine occassionally and didn't have issues. Fortunately, I typically slept on my other "good" ear as it blocked out sound. I do miss that ability to shut out sounds, but, I'll take hearing any day! :)

Take care and keep posting! It makes the process so much easier.


p.s. CAROL.... hope you're doing ok! I haven't seen you in a while and I know I stayed away for a while when things weren't so hot, but still read everyone's post.
Those are all of the same issues/coping mechanisms I had! I can definitely identify with your frustrations. I am 5 weeks post-op and my only complaint is that I didn't have it done sooner! In fact, a co-worker recently told me I seem happier now that I can hear. I rarely have to ask people to repeat themselves, and I no longer have to "nod hopefully" during conversations, or wonder if what I just said was way off track from what I was supposed to say, or tell people that I just have ADD and can't pay attention. It's funny because I am the complete opposite of ADD and can multi-task like the wind, so that last excuse was always a little lame. Anyhow, I was in your same position and now I'm not, so I wholeheartedly recommend the surgery--but just follow the doc's orders to try to avoid side-effects.

I, too, was a little worried about the drooping, but went through with it anyway. I've yet to come across someone that has experienced that awful side-effect. I was fortunate enough to not have any vertigo at all, not even immediately following surgery. I was also pain- and nausea-free. My taste was not affected at all. That said, I do still have ringing in my ear. I'm not sure if it is coming from the other ear that still needs to be fixed or if it's coming from both. My doctor said that surgery would probably not fix the ringing. For me, being able to hear is worth it. I mean, I was going to have the ringing either way, right? Losing my hearing changed my a horrible way. Having it back has been total bliss. As I said above, my entire disposition has changed since the surgery, in a good way!

Both of you let us know what you decide!

Tammy - I think we all had the concerns about the potential risks of the surgery prior. My doctors almost scared me away with all the talk of what could happen, but they were just doing their job to make sure I understood there are risks. That said, I had a good doctor. We talked about how many of these surgeries he had performed and how many had different side effects afterwards (only one had a little paralysis after surgery that cleared up within two months). I felt better after having that discussion.

Learn everything you can about how the surgery is done and what causes the risks. It helps being fully informed. Find a doctor who does this surgery regularly. It's not a very common surgery - my doctor performed about 12 a year and this was in the Wash. DC metro area, if that gives perspective.

As for the ringing, it was what drove me to finally have the surgery. I waited about 3 years thinking "I"ll just deal with it", the "it" being just hearing loss in my right ear. I couldn't tell direction of sound, said "huh" and "what" a lot, and drove everyone crazy. It was when the ringing started getting louder and driving me crazy that I finally said OK to surgery. Surgery won't always fix the ringing and it doesn't for a lot of people, but it did for me.

All in all, I'm with Andrea in saying my only complaint is that I didn't do it sooner. It was a good decision for me and I would recommend it to anyone in the same boat. It's still your decision since it is your choice to accept the risks, but risks are very, very minimal.


p.s. Carol - Good to see you back and doing great!
Thank You Carol for your support.
I woke up this morning and I immediately picked up the telephone to listen to the dial tone. ;)To my surprise the right ear was almost as good as the left ear and none of the side effects that I had mentioned the previous day were present. The ear doesn't feel as stuffy but I feel the gel moving from side to side inside the ear. I am hoping that by tomorrov I should experience more of the same and not a regression.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 AM.

© 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!