It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

Knee & Hip Problems Board Index

[QUOTE=ahabt;3822937]This is all very helpful. I hadn't thought through the issue of transporting food while using a walker. I think non-leaking containers that can go in a string bag slung over it? All that laying in of non-perishables is what we are supposed to be doing in CA anyway, in preparation for the Big One (earthquake). I'm sure I can line up somebody for shower duty. I'll bet it feels really good, after ten days--[/QUOTE]

Hi ahabt:

I can't picture the string bag technique but it sounds intriguing!

The tray snaps on to the front of my walker. I wish I had ordered it sooner, but hadn't thought out the meal prep problem. My kitchen island counter is close to the microwave and refrigerator. Sat on the counter stools -just the right height for after a hip replacement. I still use them for meals.

You have to think about your chairs - you will need sturdy chairs with good arms and right height - at least 18 inches from the floor. No lounge chairs or sofas! Hips should be higher than your knees when you are sitting.

I spent the first two weeks in a rehab place after my hip replacement. There I washed up standing in front of the bathroom sink. It worked all right. I only was given one shower each week, with an aide helping. I sure missed washing my hair, which I do every day in the shower - short hair, of course.
The oily hair was my worst problem and others were also very bothered by the lack of hair washing. I finally used a washcloth for my hair and it wasn't like in the shower but it made things look and feel better. The stand up sponge bath washes went just fine. Leaned against the sink. It was good physical therapy for my standing ability. ;)

As for my home shower, I had a man come and install two grab bars - one outside and the other immediately inside. My shower is too small for a chair, but I didn't feel the need for one.

Shirley H.
[QUOTE=ahabt;3826930]A new development is that my little dog is freaked out by the reach and grab tool! He isn't usually one to frighten easily, but last night a friend brought one over for me and to try it out, I used it to pick up one of his balls and toss it across the room. He streaked under the sofa and wouldn't come for two hours, not for any coaxing or bribery. I'm leaving it around and moving it slightly now and then, hoping to get him gradually habituated to it, but he remains very suspicious--[/QUOTE]

Hi ahabt:

My kitty was freaked out by my walker at first, :eek: but she got used to it.
I wonder if you could sort of rub that reacher all over its surface, to get your scent on it, and leave it on the floor where your little dog can sniff it and get used to how it looks? And avoid using it with his toys! Just leave the reacher in one safe place where your dog can escape fast if he feels the need? Let us know how this progresses!

Shirley H.
[QUOTE=liverpool sue;3905100]most people here in england who have a thr just use one stick (cane), some use two for a while, then go down to one, then throw it away :) some will also use a zimmer frame during the night for bathroom visits as it's a bit more stable and doesn't fall over like a stick does (meaning you have to bend down to pick it up). i had resurfacing ops so was on crutches for 6 weeks before i graduated to sticks. thr patients here are taught to go up and down stairs before they're released from hospital, which may only be a day or two after their op, depending on their recovery. i was taught how to do stairs with my crutches, neither way is difficult.
i doubt you'll be on any meds which would make you 'hazy', after 30 days, probably not even after a week, but it does of course depend on individual recovery. and your actual surgery meds will be well out of your system by then, although you can still feel quite tired just from the healing process and the potential lack of sleep at night due to having to sleep on your back.
the thing is to listen to your own body and not try to be a hero, it's not a race and it's more important to make a full recovery than set yourself back by overdoing things at the beginning.

I find it very interesting to hear how rehab time is treated differently across the globe for THR. I was told to use two crutches and place no more than 25 lbs. on the operated side for the 1st 4 weeks. I can agree with you on the part about not over doing it in the beginning. I started driving the first week out of the hospital and substituted a cane (stick) for the two crutches while at home to make it easier to get around my house and room. I don't think it was the driving itself that was detremental to my condition as much as the shopping I did once I'd arrived at my destinations. Grocery shopping (I found out later) should be done by someone else or pre-surgery. I had to spend a week "bed bound" w/my operated leg raised to the ceiling after it had swelled up to the point that I didn't recognize it any longer. Just curious: the resurfacing op's you had were done because you were a "revision"?
Dear cruizer:

In my health plan, the pre op exam must always be done within 7 days of the planned surgery. No exceptions. You should check with your regular doctor and/or surgeon on this to find out what their rules are. The pre op exam was done by my regular doctor who is an internist, and is a very thorough exam with blood tests, urine specimen, EKG, etc. - the "works". Nothing invasive involved!

My health insurance plan sent me to a rehab facility for 2 weeks, because I don't have anyone here at home to care for me. I had intensive physical therapy at the facility - they really worked us hard, twice a day, but it did the job and they had us hip people up and walking to meals, therapy, and through the facility corridors. Walking a lot every day is crucial for recovery from a hip replacement.

After I got home, a woman PT was sent by my health insurance, to my apartment to assess my need for continuing PT visits at home. I told her I didn't need any and I was confident that I would have no problems. I continued to do my simple on -the -bed thigh excercises once a day for both legs. The PTs at the rehab place warned me to not over do the exercises - that a lot of walking would be best. The PT agreed with my assessment of my ability to have no further PT, and that I had suitable home arrangements. She assessed my shower grab bars, bed grab bars, bed and chair heights, laundry room, kitchen, cupboards, bathrooms - in other words, all the conditions in my home.

My apartment is 100% set up for living alone - have washer and dryer in my apt., shower with a short curb to get in - high counter chairs, elevator -everything here that I need to do my own daily activities without assistance. :cool:

Donating my own blood was never mentioned by anyone including the hospital, and I did not need to have any blood during the surgery.

Shirley H.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 AM.

© 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!