It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Knee & Hip Problems Message Board


Knee & Hip Problems Board Index


It could be up to a 2 year wait to get in to see an OS so I have gone to see my Sports Med Doc in the hopes he can get me in sooner.

Met with the Sport Med doc yesterday and he thought that as bad as my knee is he still thought I was too young (at 51) for a TKR - sounds like alot of you may have heard the same thing! :) ...

anyway, he is going to refer me to an OS but thinks that because my tibia is mialigned and the damage contained just to the lateral complartment, that I would be a good candidate for an osteotomy.

Has anyone had that procedure? any thoughts on it? has anyone had similar bone on bone with full thickness cartilage loss grade 4 - which is the worst, servere lateral compartment osteoarthritis and a subluxed meniscus - if so, what route was recommended to you?

sounds even more radical from what I have read than a PKR or TKR!!

I have had some feedback from posters on another board that say do not do the osteotomy at all!

In the meantime, until I can get in to see the OS, he recommended that I consider an injection of Durolane (Hyaluronic Acid) - it will act like a lubricant on my bone on bone situation - it will cost $450 (not covered by our extended health care plan) and is only about 70% successful and should last 2-5months.

Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks in advance for all your caring advice and the sharing of your experiences.

April.
Follow up to my info below - and input welcome from those of you that have had differing opinions from docs...

Got in to see 2 OS...

One OS who deals with alot of elite skiers and has a great rep, says I need a HTO - however, another well respected OS that I went to for a second opinion says, no - it should be a TKR....:confused:

wow - do I need a tie breaking opinion from a third OS?

thoughts?

Cheers

April

[QUOTE=alt4u;4642516]It could be up to a 2 year wait to get in to see an OS so I have gone to see my Sports Med Doc in the hopes he can get me in sooner.

Met with the Sport Med doc yesterday and he thought that as bad as my knee is he still thought I was too young (at 51) for a TKR - sounds like alot of you may have heard the same thing! :) ...

anyway, he is going to refer me to an OS but thinks that because my tibia is mialigned and the damage contained just to the lateral complartment, that I would be a good candidate for an osteotomy.

Has anyone had that procedure? any thoughts on it? has anyone had similar bone on bone with full thickness cartilage loss grade 4 - which is the worst, servere lateral compartment osteoarthritis and a subluxed meniscus - if so, what route was recommended to you?

sounds even more radical from what I have read than a PKR or TKR!!

I have had some feedback from posters on another board that say do not do the osteotomy at all!

In the meantime, until I can get in to see the OS, he recommended that I consider an injection of Durolane (Hyaluronic Acid) - it will act like a lubricant on my bone on bone situation - it will cost $450 (not covered by our extended health care plan) and is only about 70% successful and should last 2-5months.

Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks in advance for all your caring advice and the sharing of your experiences.

April.[/QUOTE]





All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:22 PM.





© 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!