It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Infertility Message Board


Infertility Board Index
Board Index > Infertility | 0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Re: Newbie
Jan 2, 2009
Hi Mandy,

I'll give you the condensed version of what brought me to IVF :)

My husband and I were trying to start a family several years ago, we tried for about 6 months and no luck, I happened to have my annual with my OB/GYN and my husband encouraged me to talk with her even though we had only been trying for a short amount of time. He also had scheduled an appointment to have his sperm checked so we both were going to get checked together.

After discussing some stuff with Dr. she scheduled a vaginal sono to be performed (they thought I might have endo) and lo-and-behold a tumor was found on left ovary. Three weeks later I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer (never had any major symptoms and there is no family history). Had surgery and left ovary and tube were removed, right ovary and uterus were biopsied and came back clean. Husband found out that he had vericoseles (spelled that wrong) and borderline morphology so we met with a recommended RE and they indicated that we would have better luck with IVF with ICSI then IUI because of our combined issues. We waited a little while to start with IVF so that I could heal and such.

First IVF attempt ended with ectopic in right tube and the drug used to stop the pregnancy and flush it out didn't work for us. I had to take two doses and still the embryo was growing and it was becoming increasingly painful (and I have a high pain threshold). I ended up having emergency surgery and the right tube had to be removed. It was just in the knick of time because the embryo apparently was wedged high into the tube resting against a major blood vessel, had the embryo burst and damaged the blood vessel I could have had massive internal bleeding.

Took a several months off to heal again and then got right back on the horse and started with a FET transfer....and I think you know the rest. I was 32 when I was diagnosed with cancer and just turned 34.

Jessica
Re: Newbie
Jan 2, 2009
;) An FET is just short for a frozen embryo transfer. I did an IVF cycle in the summer that got me pregnant but sadly didn't work. But, I had 9 to freeze. We already did one frozen cycle in the fall that didn't work, thawing 3 embryos that time. We took a break since then and now are doing another frozen transfer. It's cake compared to the full process. Right now, I'm on Estrace pill which is a hormone that suppresses you but also builds up your lining. When my lining is nice and thick, they will thaw my embryos and transfer them...that's when I have to start my progesterone.
To answer some questions, the Lupron usually starts before any stimulant like Gonal F, it is used to suppress also but all doctors do things a bit differently. The hcg triggers the eggs just before retrieval and progesterone usually starts after Retrieval.:angel:
Re: Newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Mandy,
I am sure every clinic is different. With my clinic, I only had two options:

Option 1- Pay for one cycle and once cycle only, this was only one fresh cycle for one flat rate of $15,000 +/- some. If we went with this option, we would only have one chance to get a BFP unless we chose to freeze embryos then it would be an additional $2500 per procedure after that until all frozen embryos were used. This option did not offer any sort of guarantee or refund in the event that we did not get a BFP.

Option 2- Pay one flat fee of $20,000, this option is refered to as the 'guarantee' program. With this option you have to agree to freeze any additional embryos so there is more of a chance of getting a BFP. In the even the fresh cycle does not work and maintain a pregnancy up to 10 weeks then the RE will continue to do FET's until all frozen embryo's are used at no additional charge. In the event the fresh cycle fails and all FET's fail, you get a refund of $13,000.

We opted to go with option 2. While this was more money up front, it took a little of the financial stress out of the equation because it is true that if we do get lucky and get a BFP on our first fresh transfer then we paid an additional $5000, but in the event that we are not able to get a BFP on the fresh transfer and have to proceed with FET's (assuming we even have any frozen embryo's to work with) then we would at least have the possibility of getting a refund if we never get the BFP that we long for. With the refunded money we can move forward with adoption if that is the route that we end up having to take in the end.

I am not sure if this really helps you or not, but I guess you should always weigh out the costs compared to the possible chances for success that you may have. We chose our plan simply because we have something to fall back on, the cost of this entire process is so overwhelming, we must consider every option available.

Good luck!

Jayme





All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:30 PM.





© 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!