It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Board Index

This story starts well before Christmas when I was walking with another teacher in the halls of our local High School. After we had walked for roughly 30 minutes, I all of a sudden became very weak and light headed and had to very quickly sit down to catch my breath. I became worried and thought about this incident often throughout our Christmas break. During this time, I developed a very bad cough and was constantly light headed and felt dizzy (whooping cough was going around at the time within our school) and so after break, I to the doctor for some answers. This was January 4th 2005. The doctor and I talked about my conditions and she then decided to test me for whooping cough. (very expensive with little success!!!) The test came back negative (no surprise since the whooping cough test is only accurate 50% of the time during only the first 5-7 days that the bacteria is in your bronchial tubes - I found this out later). The doctor gave me some antibacterial medicine and sent me on my way. Later the following week, my cough and light-headedness was getting worse so I went to go see another doctor. This time, he ordered 2 chest x-rays, an EKG, and many blood tests. He also talked to me about stress and I said that the only stress that I was feeling was the result of not being able to breath correctly because my bronchial tubes hurt so bad and that I was constantly feeling dizzy and just plain weird. He sent me on my way with a stronger antibacterial medication. (No help) I called in the next day to learn the results of all of my tests and found out that everything was "normal" with me. This was no surprise even though I felt exactly the same. In fact, I was beginning to feel worse instead of better. This was 2 weeks ago. One week later, I called in and went to see a third doctor. After telling him the same story about all of my chest pain, dizziness, sweats, not being able to exercise, feeling like I was going to pass out several times a day, ringing in my ears, tingle in my lips, nausea, pressure in my throat, restless sleep, aching muscles, anxiety, difficulty concentrating on class work, shortness of breath, etc, he decided to start me on Asthma medication to see if this would work. I agreed to it and began taking the inhalers immediately that day. WOW, a difference!!! Except the effects were very short lived. Within 12 hours all of my symptoms came crashing back. That brings us to Monday January 24th, 2005. Around 10:30 am, I was walking the halls of our high school when all of a sudden my chest became very tight, my neck seemed to thicken up, my heart began pound as if it was on fire, and a shooting pain began to move down my left arm. I immediately stopped walking and grabbed on to the wall to catch myself from falling. I thought I was experiencing a heart attack. After the pain and confusing stopped, I walked quietly to the office and talked to the nurse. She took my blood pressure, which was only slightly above normal for me. I told her of my symptoms and she told me that I should go and see my doctor. Upon arriving at the clinic, I told my doctor (the one that I had seen just 3 days earlier) my symptoms. He became very alarmed and sent me on my way to the ER. When I got to the Emergency Room, every type of test known to man was done. I had extensive blood work, 2 more x-rays, oxygen tests, and 2 separate EKGís. Several doctors came and went all wanting my story and to listen to my lungs and heart. 3 hours after laying in the ER, all of my tests came back negative. (No Surprise) The last test they wanted me take was an EKG stress test that would show how my heart was functioning. I took this test at 7 pm Monday evening. After about 30 minutes of discussion, the ER doctor came into my holding room and informed me that there was a particular part of my EKG that looked alarming. I had inverted T-Waves and one thing that this could me was damage to my heart. She wasnít willing to let me go without seeing the cardiologists the next day. So, I was admitted to the hospitalís Cardiovascular wing where I spent the next 15 hours talking to other doctors, having more extensive blood work done, several EKGís, and other small little tests. What a night!!! The next morning around 10:30 am (checkout was at 10:00 am so now I am paying for 2 days in the hospitalÖ.great) 3 heart doctors, 3 residents, and 2 nurses came and paid me a visit. After telling my story again and all three doctors listening to my heart and lungs, it was determined that the ER doctor became too excited and paranoid about my inverted T-waves. They said that since I was 36 not overweight, she over reacted. However, they wanted me to stay and take another stress test but this time they were going to take a ultrasound of my heart beating before I worked out and then immediately after I worked out. I finished the test around 3:30 pm and then around 5:30 pm a resident came in to tell me that everything was fine with my heart and that I could go home. WHAT??? Here I was complaining about all of these conditions and I was fine to go home? I was relieved but still very confused. I got out of the hospital on Tuesday and today is the following Saturday and still nothing has changed except I think I may have discovered what is causing all of these symptoms. Itís amazing that after seeing over 10 separate doctors and countless number of nurses, telling my complete story over 20 different times, nobody, not one person can still tell me what is wrong. For this reason, I have been searching the Internet trying to discover what is wrong with me and on Thursday, I think I may have discovered what is going on. I think that I may have Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome. There is not much information about this disorder because many doctors donít know about it or they refuse to believe that simply breathing wrong can cause your bodyís biochemical make-up to become completely messed up. What causes this disorder can be stress but it can also be a result of excessive damage to oneís lungs and bronchial tubes as a result of extensive coughing which can be brought about by Asthma attacks or Whooping cough. What is this disorder? Well, it is brought on by your body breathing incorrectly and instead of the person thinking that they are breathing too little, they are actually breathing too much. A person with this disorder is not getting enough Carbon Dioxide to stay in their body and without this carbon dioxide, the blood canít carry the required oxygen to its individual organs, which then results in the person having a very vast array of weird symptoms. The only cure is to learn how to breathe correctly again and this can take weeks or even months. Itís incredible that doctors donít know about this disorder or refuse to learn about it. I hope this helps. In the mean time, I am going to write a letter to the hospital and ask for my money back. I know it wonít do any good but they did nothing and they are the oneís with the medical degrees. It just isnít right.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 AM.

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!