It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

Lupus Board Index
Board Index > Lupus | 0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

You are right. If I didn't acknowledge it before, I should clarify. The extent of my exercising when my blood pressure is high is pacing, and my blood pressure has never been documented as higher than 170's over 100's. And I only began exercising again on the advice of my doctor. And, I did so when my blood pressure was within what is considered normal limits, and the exercise was relaxing. As I said before, my anxiety was high, not my blood pressure. I wouldn't think your doctor would recommend any strenuous exercise when your blood pressure is high. OOPS! Just re-read your post. You only walked at 2 mph for 2 minutes, certainly not overly strenuous. Good deal that your bp came down within 20 minutes.

As for what was happening to me prior to this illness. My earlier posts were quite detailed in the physical symptoms, so I will try to give you a sense of the environment. First, you should have a little of my career history.
I am a registered nurse and had worked for twenty years in Pediatrics and many years in Post Partum, and gyn surgeries. Ten years or so ago, I became disabled after an illness that sent me into a Fibromyalgia flare. I was never able to return to work. I remained home, caring for my children and husband the best I could while being tired and sick.

Just as I was consistently doing better, I had a brain stem stroke. After a ten day hospital stay, I had to learn how to walk again. I used a walker and then a cane and went to physical therapy, strengthening my muscles and relearning balance. The left side of my body has some remaining numbness. I can't tell temperature on that side. I also sweat more on the left side than the right. I got stronger, and people are amazed when I tell them of my stroke. No one can tell by looking at me. I am fortunate.

In 2006 we moved two hours north and lived with my in- laws for a year while our house was being built. We moved into our new home in the Summer of '07. New town, new schools, new house. We made new friends and I was taking art classes, doing scrapbooking, planting my flower beds, and writing a book. I had finished the 500 page novel and was beginning to edit it and begin a new book.

Fast forward to last fall when I was doing better. I had gained weight when I was given high doses of prednisone when I had my stroke and was becoming more active in trying to lose it. I tried Nutrisystem and my stomach couldn't take the sugar alcohol in the diabetic plan (I was trying to avoid sugar) and I think it started up my IBS. I lost 45 lbs. when I stopped taking Forteo for the many rib fractures that were occurring despite taking Actonel. I had also tapered off of Lexapro, when it seemed not to be working and I had tried a trial increase in dosage. Encouraged by my weight loss, but frustrated that I began gaining some of it back, I increased bicycle riding with a few friends around our neighborhood and had worked up to nearly ten miles five days a week. (Maybe that was too much.) I began waking early at 4:30 AM and couldn't go back to sleep.

We went to Disneyland for a family vacation and when we returned I got pretty sick with some type of virus and slowly recovered. I began bike riding again slowly, and eventually got back up to ten miles. Then, I had the H1N1 vaccine when I was coming down with a cold that was coming on. I began taking 2 tablets instead of the usual 1 of pseudophedrine for my remaining nasal congestion that seemed to never go away. I was also drinking a glass or two of caffeinated sodas appreciating the extra energy I got from the decongestant and the caffeine. Although my doctor doesn't think any of that had anything to do with beginning this thing, I think different.

It was early December, and the stresses of shopping for Christmas presents had to be put to my husband as I was still recovering. We were also planning a cruise in January. I started to begin exercising again after my latest virus hoping to be in good shape by cruise- time. My exercise buddy and I started out slowly by walking. I had to stop when a wave of nausea and feeling ill came over me and heart palpitations began. I had been having a hyperstartle to noises and the episodes began slowly, every other evening and progressed to almost constant.

You've probably read the rest in my posts on my symptoms. I was definitely over- stressed by vacations, holidays, viruses, immunizations, medications, physical activity, weight loss, etc. and possibly the beginning symptoms of menopause. Its a wonder my Lupus didn't flare.

Sounds like you were stressing yourself to the limit, too. I have a tendency to do that. I seem to push myself to do more, despite exhaustion and I believe I am paying for it now.

Yesterday, I was well enough to attend church and that would have been enough for the day. But, I pushed myself to attend an afternoon play at the local college. My blood pressure was up when I returned home, but not too high. That was more than enough for the day for me, but my day wasn't done. My husband had planned a Sunday dinner with my in-laws and a showing of the movie Avatar on our big screen and surround sound system. With my BB wearing off, and the noise, I had to retreat to my room for solace. The oven had made it hot and the great room was over 80 degrees combined with the near summer- like weather. My blood pressure began to rise again (but not bad), but I did some deep breathing and combined with the cooler room and quiet, it came down quickly. But, my heart palpitations and nausea made for a terrible evening to such a nice day. By ten, I was near pacing (even though my bp was perfect at 119/ 72) when I went to bed and took a 1/4 Xanax to help me relax enough to go to sleep. My youngest woke me up at 3:30 AM to tell me the dog thru up in his room and he stepped in it, but after taking care of that I was able to quickly go back to sleep and woke at 5:15 this morning. Still waking every couple of hours, but my BP was down and despite the barf cleanup, I did well to get back to sleep.

Don't feel well this morning, but looking for a stress-free day with the kids at school and the husband at work.
Best wishes,

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 AM.

© 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!