It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

Lyme Disease Board Index

Hi Coyotecrazy. The doctor is Dr. McCullers. Again, I have heard he does not test for co-infections which is extremely important.

There are a few different ways to administer IV antibiotics. Often, they are administered with a PICC line. This line is inserted in the arm (sometimes at the inside elbow crease, sometimes higher). A small piece of tubing extends out where you infuse the meds. Other types of catheters for infusion are tunnelled and implanted ports. Do a search of "IV Catheter Types" for more information.

From what I understand, IV meds are better for the intenstinal tract. Many different IV meds can be used to treat Lyme including Rocephin, Claforan, Doxycycline, Zithromax. Treatment time varies for each case, but it is not unusual for it to be long-term.

The most important thing is to keep the line and surrounding area clean and dry. If there is ever any pain, tenderness or redness you need to contact your doctor's office or home nurse immediately.

hActivities may be slightly limited depending on which type of line you have. Mostly it is using your common sense. For instance, if you have a PICC line in your arm, you do not want to do excessive lifting with that arm, but normal day-to-day activity should be fine. You can still go to work etc. If you get a PICC line, there is a cover you can buy so you can shower without getting the area wet. It is called a PICC line cover and you can buy it online at Brown Medical. There are other covers for the other types.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29 AM.

© 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!