It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

Lyme Disease Board Index

Hi, I want to order the right Lyme tests from Igenex. I want the testing done so that I can make an appointment with an LLMD somewhere. This is what it says on their site:

"Based on our tracking, as well as input from our client physicians and our clinical consultant, the initial Panel to order for Lyme disease is the IGeneX Panel 6050. This panel includes the IFA, IgM and IgG Western Blots and PCRs for Borrelia burgdorferi. The IFA is a general Lyme disease screen. The Western Blots are to determine which antibodies the patient is making. The Western Blot is 96% specific. Since some patients do not make antibodies, the Lyme Whole Blood PCR for DNA (#463) and the Lyme Serum PCR for DNA (#453) is included.

The Complete Initial Lyme Panel includes IFA, IgG and IgM Western Blots and PCR (whole blood and serum):

Panel 6050* #230 (Lyme IFA), #188, #189, #456, (and #453)

(IGeneX is now performing a courtesy PCR on serum if whole blood is ordered and vice versa if both serum and whole blood are received.)

The Initial Lyme Panel includes IgG and IgM Western Blots and PCR (whole blood and serum):

Panel 5010** #188, #189 & #456, (and #453)

(IGeneX is now performing a courtesy PCR on serum if whole blood is ordered and vice versa if both serum and whole blood are received.)"

So, what do I order? Do I order a panel, like Panel 6050 or Panel 5010, or do I order separate tests, like #188 and #189?

Also, how is this done? Do I find a lab and pay them to draw the blood? So, I am paying a lab to do the work and Igenex for the results? What if I have a friend who is a lab tech - can she just draw the blood at my house?

Also, I've read that a doctor is necessary for these tests. Does a doctor need to sign off on this? Or is the doctor only necessary to receive the results (since I read that Igenex will not send the results to me)? Will they send the results to a P.A.? I want to make sure that I get a copy - will Igenex send anything to me at all or will I have to get it from the doctor/PA?

Please let me know what tests to order, how much they cost, how I get them done, and how I get the results. Thank you so much for your help and sorry so many questions.

Also, I want to send them overnight - on a Monday?


Hi Lori, welcome to the board!

How long have you been sick? I know of one Lyme doctor in MI. Would you like his name?

It is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

At a minimum, I suggest getting the Western Blot (IgM and IgG) done and co-infection tests for Babesiosis, both types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), and Bartonella. IgeneX can test for these. You should also be tested for Mycoplasma. IgeneX does not test for this, but many Lyme doctors use MDL for Mycoplasma testing. The tests can be expensive. Call IgeneX to find out how much they will be.

I believe the results have to go to a doctor. I suggest calling IgeneX to see if they would send them to a PA. PAs are usually supervised by medical doctors, so I think it would likely be okay.

Good luck!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 AM.

© 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!