It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board

Miscarriage & Still Birth Board Index

Hi Ladies,

I posted the below on the pg board, but since not everyone on there has had a m/c (I have gotten some really supportive, and helpful replies, and thank you!!), I thought I'd try here.

I could really use some advice and support right now. I'm supposed to be 12 wks and 2 days pg today based on my ultrasound that I had 4/23 (13 weeks if you go by LMP). Everything was going along fine (no morning sickness, only mild fatigue, really the only way I knew I was pg is the 3 missed periods I've had, and of course the positive pg test went I was only 4wks from my LMP). My HCG numbers (had them taken twice) were good, my progesterone was low (was only tested after I requested it), so I was put on Prometrium 1 pill, 4 times a day (total of 400mg). So far so good right? Should mention, though, for those that don't remember, I am 40, and had a m/c back in November at about 8 weeks, and am battling possible gestational diabetes.

Until Tuesday night, I had not had any kind of spotting/bleeding or cramping with this pg. Well, Tuesday night, around 9pm I went to the bathroom and went to pull my pants down, I saw 2 reddish spots of blood on my underwear, about the size of nickels. Well, I panicked and called the answering service of my OB. Got a call back from the Dr. on call. He told me if the bleeding got heavier or I had clots, to call him back. Well, thankfully, the bleeding remained light overnight, and I had only minor cramping and no clots.

So, when my Dr's office opened the next day, I called right away, and they told me to come in for an internal exam and fetal doppler. So, my husband and I went in. Dr. used the fetal doppler, for the longest time all you could hear was static and the occasional swoosh sound (the placenta?). Then you could hear (all 3 of us heard it) what sounded like a hb. So, the Dr. moved the instrument around my lower abdomen for a while, then she grabbed my wrist as if to see if it was my hb she was picking up. She then mumbled what sounded like, "looks like we found mommy". She didn't say much (I know she can't as she has to listen closely), but kept moving the instrument. When she gets all done, she tells us she got the hb (of the baby I'm assuming) but it kept moving around, and at this point (12 wks) it's 50-50 as to being able to hear accurately the hb.

Next she did the internal (said she saw old blood, and it didn't look like alot). Said sometimes bleeding occurs at this time as the placenta is forming/taking over, and that it wasn't all that uncommon. She did want us to go for an US, just to check on things. So, we left with script in hand.

Fast foward to that evening. I started cramping (like I was getting my period) and the bleeding was getting slightly heavier. Woke up at 2:30 am, and could tell the pad I had on was flooded. So I rushed to the bathroom, pulled down my pants (sorry TMI coming up) and something slid into the toilet. Unfortunately, didn't get a look at it, it happened so fast. Was scared, and woke up my husband. Tried to clean myself up, took a shower, and called the answering service. Got a different doctor from the previous night. Didn't want to go to the ER, even though I was bleeding pretty heavily and cramping pretty bad (like a bad period). She told me it was my decision if I wanted to go to the ER, and that if I could wait it out (it was after 3:30 in the morning by now), I should call my office first thing in the morning. Told me I could take advil for my cramps, and we hung up.

Went to sleep around 4:45, and woke up around 7:30. Was still bleeding pretty heavily, but not as bad as before. CAlled my Dr.'s office as soon as it opened. Nurse I was talking to passed along what I had told her to the Dr. that was standing nearby, and are you ready for this, Dr. wasn't even sure I m/c!!! Said it could have been from the internal exam!! What, are you kidding me!! They didn't even want to see me. Said to monitor the bleeding during the day, rest, feet up, lots of liquids, etc. and to call back in the afternoon to update them as to how I was doing.

Well, I called back around 1:30, and talked to the same nurse. She said she bounced my case to some of the other nurse's and they all AGREED, it didn't sound like a m/c!!! She said if it was a M/C, I would be bleeding for days and days, and would be filling up a pad per hour!!! (Which I'm not doing, I'm still bleeding and cramping, but not filling up a pad per hour).

MY QUESTION TO ALL OF YOU IS: HOW CAN THEY MAKE A DIAGNOSIS OF ME OVER THE PHONE!! I mean, they didn't even say to come in. You think they'd want to at least try to do the doppler again. I have an US (which will tell the story) scheduled for Tues (I wanted my husband there, and that is the first time he could make it, besides they had no openings on Monday).

I'm about 90% sure I've m/c, and if I would have seen what dropped into the toilet, I'd probably be around 95% sure. Can you ladies, those that have had the misfortune to m/c naturally (my first m/c I had a D&E done before the bleeding could start), tell me your symptoms please. And please be honest(someone has to be, I almost get the feeling the office is covering for the Dr. that did the fetal doppler, how else do you explain a hb, and then less than 12 hours later, a m/c?), does it sound like I've m/c?

Sorry this is so long. I hope all of you are doing better than me right now. I'm an emotional wreck. I start to cry (as if it's over, and I've m/c), then I say, "keep your chin up", maybe there is still a chance. I guess I'll know for sure on Tuesday - which seems to be a lifetime away right now.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:34 PM.

© 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!