It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

Nail Problems Board Index

Allergic reaction does not happen overnight, but only after repeated and prolonged skin contact to a potental allergen; in this case, acrylic liquid (monomer). There are TWO knds of monomer: MMA and EMA. MMA has been deemed as deleterious to the nails (and skin) by the FDA during the 70's. It has been baned for use in nail salons by just about all 50 state regulatory agencies. MMA can cause severe allergic reactions, even leading to the permanent loss of the nail plate or severe nail and skin damage. Many unscrupulous salons still use it because it is so cheap. If you are getting a full set of nals for $25.00 or less, chances are they are using MMA liquid (Methyl Methacrylate monomer.)

When MMA is put into a reactor under extreme heat and pressure, it will turn itself into a solid (powder) which is then classified as PMMA, and is no longer a threat to the skin and nails. Most acrylic powders use a mixture of PMMA (poly methyl methacrylic) and PEMA (poly ethyl methacrylate). This gives the powder both strength (PMMA) and flexibility (PEMA.) FYI: PMMA is also used to make plexiglass and other hard 'plastic' items.

The FDA approves of EMA liquid (Ethyl Methacrylate) as a monomer for use on nails and can be easily used with the PMMA/EMMA powder mixture. That is the key word here "NAILS", but many technicians will allow the wet product to touch the skin or use the product too wet and it is absorbed into the nail plate and sits on the nail bed and causes an allergic reacton.

Once we are allergic, we are allergic for LIFE. Since ALL artificial nail products are made from the same family of acrylates, if you are allergic to one, you will be allergic to all of them. This includes traditional liquid and powder systems, gel acrylic, wrap resins and nail adhesives. With each exposure the symptoms will get worse and the natural nail will begin to separate from the nail bed in an effort to get away from what is causng the symptoms. Once the nail plate separates from the nail bed, it is the perfect avenue for bacteria or fungus to get between the nail and nail bed, set up housekeeping and turn into a full blown infection.

My advice? Soak off the nails, find a GOOD Manicurist and opt for natural nail care. For more information on allergic reaction and your natural nails, please visit my website [url][/url] (link approved by Moderator 1.)
If you are using products by Creative Nail Design, you need to visit their website, log in as a 'professional' and you can download the Material Safety Data Sheets on all the products you are using. It is an OSHA regulation that you have the MSDS on the premisis anyway. They will tell you what the hazardous ingredients may be as well as any mild or acute reactions to the chemicals. I cannot post the link, but if you type 'Creative Nail Design Systems' into your browser, you will find them. They even have a 'hotline' where you can contact them with your questions or concerns.

Wear a dust mask when filing even the Brisa gels. It is the uncured dust getting into your lungs that is causing you allergic reaction. No dust is good to breathe, but acrylic dust is the worst as it can lodge deep within the lungs and turn into hard lumps that make it hard for you to breathe. Also, if you use a drill, you might want to consider switching to hand filing. Drills create the tiniest dust particles, and they spin in a clockwise direction which literally 'throws' the dust in you rface and the tiny dust particles hang in your breathing zone much longer than the dust from hand filing. If you properly apply your product, you won't need a drill - just a little hand filing.

If you need support from Nail technicians, you might also want to log into the Beautytech website and sign up there as well.

Hooked on Nails

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:18 AM.

2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!