It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board


Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Board Index


Again, thanks for all the info. When I got home from work today, there was a message from my GP telling me I have an appointment with the gyno next Tuesday. She said the office told her they are squeezing me in and that I should be prepared to have a very long wait. I'll just bring a good book and plan on spending the day! He is the gyno that I went to when my cyst did not go away after menopause. He is the one who did the biopsy in the office (you're right . . . after you mentioned it I do remember he took some fluid from my uterus). So here's where the anxiety comes in. Are they squeezing me in because I was a past patient? Are they squeezing me in because he's afraid he may have made the wrong decision in telling me not to have my ovary removed? Is he squeezing me in because the report is telling him time is not on my side and I need to have surgery ASAP?!

I know for sure I want my ovary removed .. . regardless if it is cancer or not. Is it possible I can bypass the biopsy step if I just tell him to book the surgery and they can biopsy it after my ovary is removed? Or do they need to know in advance is it is cancereous and if so, send me to a gyno who specializes in cancer?

I also asked my GP to book that Doppler assessment that the technician neglected to do. I'm thinking that the Gyno is going to want this so I might as well speed up the process by having it done. I don't know if I will get an appointment before next Tuesday and even if I did, I doubt the results would be back in time for my appointment.

One of the things that is concerning me is that I'm starting to have pain on the left side of my back . . sort of where the kidney is.

In Ontario, only technicians do the ultrasound but the radiologist reads it. At least the Gyno I'm going to on Tuesday does his own ultrasound in his office so as you said, it will be a lot better. I have no idea if he performs surgery but I guess I'll know more on Tuesday.

I had a pap smear come back as precancerous about 25 years ago. I had surgery and in all honesty, I was kind of glad the internet didn't exist. I didn't spend endless hours researching. Of course, back then I was young and foolish/ignorant and it never occured to me that anything could or would go wrong. Now of course I'm constantly searching for info and am also very panicked about having a general. Being awake wouldn't thrill me either but perhaps "twilight sedation" would be an option.

I'm trying to keep busy and am also trying to just go with the flow and thinking that worry is just a waste of time since whatever happens, happens. I can't change what already is and worrying myself sick isn't going to change one single thing. Of course, I'm thinking that way at 6:26 PM June 29th, 2009 and at 6:30 PM I may be back to worrying. Right now I'm just going to worry about dinner and taking the dogs for a long walk. Easier said than done!
Hi,

I thought I'd pick up where the story left off. You might remember I was heading off for a mammogram that morning. A few days later the hospital called and asked me to come in yesterday for a few more pictures because something showed up that they needed to see from a different angle. The technician said they are microcalcifications that weren't there last year. She took two more views and told me to wait until she shows them to the radiologist. Ten minutes later she came back and I was told I needed to have a biopsy and they booked me for a stereotactic biopsy to be done on Thursday morning and the results should be back in a few days. I'm not overly concerned but of course will feel better once the results are in. The only problem I have with any type of biopsy is that a false negative result could happen. I have had other microcalcifications looked at on an ultrasound but she said the biopsy is the route to go and not an ultrasound.

Today was my appointment with the gyno. As thought, he did his own pap smear and another ultrasound. He said his equipment shows the cyst to be fluid filled and at 2.7 cm (not 3 cm with a solid component and a 4mm echo. as shown in the ultrasound done at the hospital). Regardless he said even if the other test is correct, nothing is overly concerning him. However, even though he really can't see the solid component as described in the report, it does need to be followed up. He said the C125 test is very good at 9.9 however, it really doesn't give a lot of comfort given that it really isn't a tool used for screening. He told me to dress and meet back in his office.

In his office, he started out by saying that over the years I've seen him, the cyst is growing slowly . . . started out as 1.5 cm and has now grown to 2.7 cm. Still very small, but nevertheless, it is growing. He understands my desire to have surgery but he says he really needs more info before he can recommend it. He is booking me for an MRI because a solid tumour shows up much better on an MRI than it does on an ultrasound. I told him I am booked for the doppler part of the test on July 14 at the hospital that did the original ultrasound. He said that he turned on the doppler during the ultrasound he did in his office and really didn't see anything but for my own comfort level, I might as well go ahead and get the test done.

He said he would best describe my situation as orange. He said up until this year, he would describe it as green. Meaning, everything was normal with the cyst and he had no concerns. The fact is, is it is growing and by continuing to do so, it will without question get to the point where surgery is required and that is why he describes my situation as orange. He said red would be someone who has no choice and surgery must be done. He is hesitant to do the surgery and kept referring to my tubal as a bit of a problem and he also mentioned the possibility of perforating the bowel. I'm not sure if the two were related or whether they were two separate, unrelated issues. What he wants to do is see what the MRI shows. Then he will have all the information he needs to make his recommendation to me. However, he completely agrees that at some point this is going to need to come out and that doing it sooner than later is better for me both emotionally and physically. He says that if the MRI doesn't show anything concerning, his recommendation will be to wait. However, he says he is not the one having to live with a cyst growing on an ovary that one day could become cancerous. So even if he feels surgery is premature, my desires will come first regardless. But he also said I need to understand how our medical system work and that booking surgery for a patient who could wait for it, means someone who is in real need of surgery has to wait . . something that is frowned upon by the hospital. That said, the surgery will happen but it may not happen as quickly as I like. He left it by saying, let's get the MRI done and your breast biopsy results and then sit down and talk about it without having all these unaswered questions. He thinks the MRI will be in a few weeks.

I'm feeling a lot less anxious but also know that regardless of what the MRI shows, this ovary is going to be removed one way or the other .. . . even if I have to tie a string around it, attach one end to the door knob and have the tooth fairy hold on to the other end. :) If the MRI shows nothing of concern, I am going to take a deep breath, try to get a second opinion and take my time making sure my decision is well thought out and that I have the best surgeon do the surgery. Without the worry of cancer, I will have time to properly do my homework and make the best decision for me. I also won't have to worry about finding a gyno/oncologist and worrying about the time involved in waiting to see one. I also asked if he does this surgery laposcopically (sp) and he said "oh yes, for many years."


That's it for now.





All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:48 PM.





© 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!