It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board


Spinal Cord Disorders Board Index


Hi Ouch,

I did the heat/cold early after surgery too. I dont remember how much it helped to be honest, but I know it made me feel better to be doing something! Now I find that heat helps more than anything, hot showers heating pad, ect.

My surgeon said with the extent of my neurological impairment before surgery it was likely that I would have some permanent nerve damage. He also said this type of surgery did not guarantee that the pain would go away.
He did say that 95% of the relief/recovery from symptoms would happen immediately after surgery, with the other 5% coming over time. In my case I found that to be true. I've read/heard of others that started out with the same pain and symptoms only to have them fade away in time. Hopefully that will include you!

I did have a couple questions though, just curious (nosy).

Did they find a connection between the neck problem and the chest pain?
Or the facial numbness?

Did they put a plate in?

How did your MRI look?

You're still early in the recovery process. Just take things slow and dont overdo it. This procedure has a high sucess rate.

You might ask your Dr if you could take a different pain med like vicodin or something. It sucks to be in pain all the time.

Hey best of luck to you, keep postig, and take it slow......Mike
[QUOTE=mb100]Hi Ouch,

I did the heat/cold early after surgery too. I dont remember how much it helped to be honest, but I know it made me feel better to be doing something! Now I find that heat helps more than anything, hot showers heating pad, ect.

My surgeon said with the extent of my neurological impairment before surgery it was likely that I would have some permanent nerve damage. He also said this type of surgery did not guarantee that the pain would go away.
He did say that 95% of the relief/recovery from symptoms would happen immediately after surgery, with the other 5% coming over time. In my case I found that to be true. I've read/heard of others that started out with the same pain and symptoms only to have them fade away in time. Hopefully that will include you!

I did have a couple questions though, just curious (nosy).

Did they find a connection between the neck problem and the chest pain?
Or the facial numbness?

Did they put a plate in?

How did your MRI look?

You're still early in the recovery process. Just take things slow and dont overdo it. This procedure has a high sucess rate.

You might ask your Dr if you could take a different pain med like vicodin or something. It sucks to be in pain all the time.

Hey best of luck to you, keep postig, and take it slow......Mike[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the words!

In regards to your questions :

1 - They felt it was "likely" that there was a connection due to the lack of other areas confirming issues (such as extensive heart workups etc)

2 - I have a titanium plate with 4 screws

3 - Just got back from the MRI - we'll see what the doc says when he has an opportunity to look it over (hopefully soon)
hey, I know I'm jumping in rather late, but still wanted to comment. acdfouch - i have had occasional problems with chest pain, too. i was very freaked out the first time or two it happened, but suspected pretty quickly that it was neck-related. i have had some slight facial numbness at times, too.

i tend to get these particular symptoms when i've been (oops) typing for too long. luckily, in my case, simple rest usually alleviates the problem.

after i'd had the chest pain thing a few times, i started looking around and found this little animation that illustrated the radiculopathy symptoms associated with each cervical level. the C5/6/7 areas shown were right on target for me.

[url]http://www.laserspineinstitute.com/Laser_Spine_Cervical_Radiculopathy.aspx[/url]

i think you were the first i saw to mention chest pain and facial numbness, so i was glad to see your post.

i was really surprised, however, to see you mention taking motrin after surgery? although i know there is still some controversy, i believe it's generally thought that nsaids (and possibly the newer cox-2 inhibitors) delay bone healing, and that they're specifically contraindicated in fusion cases. everyone (i.e., assorted docs & surgeons) told me i'd have to avoid them for three months after surgery.

anyone else on this?

i'm about a week away from my surgery date and it's been very interesting reading all the post-surgical comments from both those who, like you, are right out of surgery and those who are the longer-term "veterans". having some idea of what to expect has brought me much more comfort and confidence.

unlike some others here, my ortho doc had been suggesting surgery for a couple of years, but i pretty much shut him down every time he brought it up. i had met with one surgeon about three years ago, before i started seeing the ortho, who said, literally, "yeah, i can operate on you. with your mri, your insurance will cover it with no problem. will it help? maybe yes, maybe no. you'll just have to wait until after surgery to see."

i didn't leave there with much confidence in my surgical options.

in december of last year, things took a turn for the worse and my doc pretty much said, "look, you've reached the point where you have no choice". without all the information and advice i've had access to online, i'd have certainly gone in kicking and screaming all the way.

my current surgeon told me almost word for word what mb100 heard:

"My surgeon said with the extent of my neurological impairment before surgery it was likely that I would have some permanent nerve damage. He also said this type of surgery did not guarantee that the pain would go away.
He did say that 95% of the relief/recovery from symptoms would happen immediately after surgery, with the other 5% coming over time."

that was certainly better than "we'll see".

look forward to hearing more about your recovery experience and progress, and willl certainly be hoping for the best of outcomes for you.

as always, thanks to everyone for your posts here.
[QUOTE=ember919]hey, I know I'm jumping in rather late, but still wanted to comment. acdfouch - i have had occasional problems with chest pain, too. i was very freaked out the first time or two it happened, but suspected pretty quickly that it was neck-related. i have had some slight facial numbness at times, too.

i tend to get these particular symptoms when i've been (oops) typing for too long. luckily, in my case, simple rest usually alleviates the problem.

after i'd had the chest pain thing a few times, i started looking around and found this little animation that illustrated the radiculopathy symptoms associated with each cervical level. the C5/6/7 areas shown were right on target for me.

[url]http://www.laserspineinstitute.com/Laser_Spine_Cervical_Radiculopathy.aspx[/url]

i think you were the first i saw to mention chest pain and facial numbness, so i was glad to see your post.

i was really surprised, however, to see you mention taking motrin after surgery? although i know there is still some controversy, i believe it's generally thought that nsaids (and possibly the newer cox-2 inhibitors) delay bone healing, and that they're specifically contraindicated in fusion cases. everyone (i.e., assorted docs & surgeons) told me i'd have to avoid them for three months after surgery.

anyone else on this?

i'm about a week away from my surgery date and it's been very interesting reading all the post-surgical comments from both those who, like you, are right out of surgery and those who are the longer-term "veterans". having some idea of what to expect has brought me much more comfort and confidence.

unlike some others here, my ortho doc had been suggesting surgery for a couple of years, but i pretty much shut him down every time he brought it up. i had met with one surgeon about three years ago, before i started seeing the ortho, who said, literally, "yeah, i can operate on you. with your mri, your insurance will cover it with no problem. will it help? maybe yes, maybe no. you'll just have to wait until after surgery to see."

i didn't leave there with much confidence in my surgical options.

in december of last year, things took a turn for the worse and my doc pretty much said, "look, you've reached the point where you have no choice". without all the information and advice i've had access to online, i'd have certainly gone in kicking and screaming all the way.

my current surgeon told me almost word for word what mb100 heard:

"My surgeon said with the extent of my neurological impairment before surgery it was likely that I would have some permanent nerve damage. He also said this type of surgery did not guarantee that the pain would go away.
He did say that 95% of the relief/recovery from symptoms would happen immediately after surgery, with the other 5% coming over time."

that was certainly better than "we'll see".

look forward to hearing more about your recovery experience and progress, and willl certainly be hoping for the best of outcomes for you.

as always, thanks to everyone for your posts here.[/QUOTE]

Cheers and a half!!!

A terrific post and it sounds as if you do indeed have very similar symptoms.

What specifically did your MRI show? Where are your problem nerves? Etc?

As far as how I am doing today?

Well, I am VERY happy to say that I continue to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I am not without my valium 5mg or tylenol 1000mg, but I ACTUALLY have times of little to no pain. It is just an incredible feeling.

Perhaps my situation was one of the bad ones... I had a pretty bad MRI writeup. I'll see if I can dig out my copy and post it for others to see.

And in regards to the motrin - apparently there is not evidence stating 110% that it is the cause of fusion failure HOWEVER I only took it twice during the entire proccess and the realm of unknown is just not worth the obvious risks and problems down the road.

So, I don't take it - at all.

Best of luck to you and please keep an eye on my thread.

I will try my best to inform others of my progress and hopeful success!





All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16 PM.





© 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!